After upgrading to a new mac, unable to use 1 password 6, does not recognize my license

beadchik
beadchik
Community Member

Supposedly if you sign back in to 1 password, all will be okay. That did not happen. 1 password is in read only mode & appears to want me to purchase it all over again. One issue is I originally purchased it as an app from the apple store using an email address that is no longer in existence. I notified agile bits, so they could update to my new email address. They resent me the license & said they had made the change in my email address. Don't know if this is adding to the problem. I am very dependent on this program & would like to get this problem resolved.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• beadchik
    beadchik
    Community Member

Correction: 1password 6 was purchased from the agile bits store. I've been using 1 password Version 6.8.6. My new computer is a MacBook air, running high sierra.

• @beadchik,

If you're in read-only mode, then you errantly installed from the App Store. If you purchased a license directly from us, then you must use the version from our website https://1password.com/downloads The App Store version is not able to recognize your license file due to Apple's Rules regarding external licensing systems. That is to say, they don't allow it.

Rudy

• beadchik
    beadchik
    Community Member

Rudy,
    I was able to install software licensed by another manufacturer without any problems, so there didn't seem to be any impact from Apple there. Doesn't look like I ever purchased any 1 password products from Apple.

This is my guesstimate at to what might be the problem. My data was transferred over from a MacBook 2008. The person who was helping me then went to download the 3rd party software I needed. Whenever I try to download from 1 password, I only get the latest update to the software, which won't install. I think what I need is the entire 1 password 6. Tax time is approaching & I really need to find some kind of work around. Can you recommend a solution?

• beadchik
    beadchik
    Community Member

I double checked my records & payment was made to agile bits for the license, so there was never any purchase of the app from Apple.

• @beadchik

I took a look in the system and don’t see a license under the same email address that you’re registered on the forums with. Can you send an email to support + forum @ agilebits . com with any possible email addresses you might’ve used so that we can resend your license information.

Rudy

• beadchik
    beadchik
    Community Member

I'm not having any luck emailing you, because it keeps saying it's not a legitimate email address.

• beadchik
    beadchik
    Community Member

This occurred after transferring data from a 2008 MacBook to a new MacBook air. I double checked my records & i purchased the license from Agile Bits, not Apple. For some reason, legacy 1 password 3 is showing up intact, but that is of no use to me since so many of the passwords including the master password have changed over time. The email address I used to purchase the license no longer exists. I requested that Agile Bits update the email address on account in 2016, which they did & they sent me a new license. However, that license is not helping me resolve this problem. Don't know if there was some kind of expiration date on the license or if somehow I did not apply it correctly.

From googling 1 password in read only mode, I see that other people have had the same problem, so there must be some kind of solution. I've tried emailing the company directly, but have yet to receive any kind of a response. Hopefully, someone here has a solution.

1Password Version: 6.8.6
    Extension Version: 4.6.12
    OS Version: 10.12.6
    Sync Type: dropbox

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@beadchick You might want to remove the spaces from @Rudy 's email address, like this: [support + forum @ agilebits . com] ——> support+forum@agilebits.com

• rudy
    edited January 2018

@beadchik,

I've merged your other thread into this one because you appear to be describing the exact same thing in both. If 1Password is indicating to you that you're in "read-only" mode, then you've definitely installed the wrong version of 1Password. 1Password 6 from our website will display "trial expired", 1Password from the Mac App Store will indicate "read-only" in the absence of a In App Purchase or a Subscription. It is not possible to use a license purchased from us with the Mac App Store version.

As vplewis indicates, please email support+forum@agilebits.com with any prior email addresses you might've used for your license purchase as the email address you're registered on the forums with shows no licenses.

Rudy

ref: BYJ-11955-164

This discussion has been closed.