Can you help me find the license key for my 1password account? [accounts do not use license keys]

Options
Genevieve01
Genevieve01
Community Member
edited February 2018 in iOS

I purchased 1password as a stand alone license for my mac. I now wish to login to my account on my iphone and ipad but don't seem to have a secret key or license key anywhere. Can you let me know where to find it?

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: .8.6
OS Version: 10.13.2
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:I need to find my license fee

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Genevieve01: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! 1Password.com accounts do not use license keys. You will only have an account if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. That’s the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. Buying a standalone license for one version also does not include the others. They are each a separate purchase unless you have a membership. However, in that case you can use 1Password without an account and sync your data from another device or create a new vault. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions!

• janicewilliams
    janicewilliams
    Community Member
    Options

I'm totally confused. Why do I need an account or what do I need to sign into? What's the difference between an account and a membership and why do I need one or the other? I can't sign in at Agilebits.com, or 1Password.com. Why? I downloaded the version 7 for Mac. Does that upgrade the version 6 I have? I can't sign in on my iPhone or iPad, why not? Please help. Thank you!

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2018
    Options

@janicewilliams,

1Password is offered as a subscription membership service. If you have a membership you’ll have an account, which comes with a Secret Key, Emergency Kit, etc. If you do not have a subscription then you don’t have a membership and thus no account (and thus cannot sign in to an account).

You can read more about membership here:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

Ben

ref: MHB-94564-447

• janicewilliams
    janicewilliams
    Community Member
    Options

How do I know which one I have? I purchased the 1Password app on my Mac but can't get it on my iPad or iPhone. Is the app an account, thus a subscription/membership service? If not, why do I need a subscription/membership service? So confusing...

• Ben
    Options

@janicewilliams

1Password membership is the only option which includes a 1Password account. Membership is a subscription service. If you've been paying a recurring fee then you're using a membership (and thus have an account). If you paid a single fee what you have is likely a 1Password for Mac license (for a particular version of 1Password for Mac). Your receipt would have more details.

If you have a membership you'll need your account credentials in order to sign in to 1Password on an additional device:

Get the 1Password apps

If you don't then you don't have an account and will need to select the appropriate option from the welcome screen to sync with your Mac (i.e. not 1Password.com):

You can read more about the options for syncing here:

Sync your 1Password data

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• janicewilliams
    janicewilliams
    Community Member
    Options

I do have the 1Password for Mac. My question is why do I need an account? What are the benefits of an account?

• Ben
    Options

You don't necessarily need an account. I did post about the benefits of having one above, though (here).

Ben

This discussion has been closed.