Is there an easy way to change the category of an entry from "login" to "password"?

donhoward
donhoward
Community Member

I imported a large number of "passwords" as "logins". Is there a way to correct the category?

1Password Version: 6.8.6
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: OS X 10.13.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:move "login" to "password"

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@donhoward - no, not directly. There's a function within 1Password for Mac to convert a password to a login item, but in general once you've created an item as a particular category, there's no way to just change the category, since each category in 1Password for Mac has very different data fields than any others - a Credit Card record is not the same data as a Login is not the same as a Passport, etc. I'd recommend trashing the incorrect records in 1Password and re-importing them as Passwords instead of Logins.

• BasilFawlty
    BasilFawlty
    Community Member

I've run into the need to have a previously created login just be listed as a "password" and just created the password item from scratch and deleted the login item. Have done it the other direction too. Not as convenient as having an automatic way of doing it, but not difficult either.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@BasilFawlty - Yup, that's the really manual way to go about it. It's always an option, but since this is effectively creating those password records from scratch, I didn't mention it. However, thanks for bringing it up, and @donhoward, if this seems better for you, feel free to do it; it does work, even if it's not exactly slick.

This discussion has been closed.