Different vaults between Mac & Ipad

BunyipCatcher
BunyipCatcher
Community Member

I have had trouble lately because I couldnt find a couple of passwords on my computer yet they were on my iPad. So I have been having a dig around this morning and I think I have found the problem but not sure on how to fix it.

Mac has 1 vault (Primary Vault) which it reads from Dropbox file = 1Password.opvault (513 items)

Ipad 2 vaults which are read from Dropbox
(Primary Vault) Dropbox file = 1Password.agilekeychain (427 items)
(1Password Vault) Dropbox file = 1Password.opvault (513 items)

So it appears that I have created new passwords on the iPad that never get synced to my Mac. So my question is. How do I get this back to one vault and make sure I dont lose anything in the process?

Thanks,
Scott

1Password Version: 6.8.6 (686003)
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: 10.13.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @BunyipCatcher! It sounds from your description as if you've inadvertently created a second keychain in Dropbox. This can happen if you install 1Password on a new device or RE-install it on an existing device -- if you choose to sync via Dropbox, you can either sync to an existing keychain (which is what you'd normally want to do), or you can create a new keychain.

The reason I think you did this is that one of your Dropbox keychains is in our older AgileKeychain format, and the other is in the newer OPVault keychain. What you'll want to do (probably on your Mac, just because it's easier to work with there) is open your Dropbox folder and locate the keychain that ends in .agilekeychain and double-click it. This will ask you for that keychain's Master Password, and then import that second keychain as a separate vault. Once you have both vaults in your Mac, you can switch back and forth between them using the Vault Menu (top left of the main 1Password window), to see how much of the data is duplicated and how much is different - i.e.: available in one vault but not in the other.

Once you've got that figured out, you can move the items from the AgileKeychain vault to the OPVault, so that what's contained in your OPVault is a complete and up-to-date copy of your data. Then, I'd recommend removing the older AgileKeychain vault from all your devices:

1. On your iPad, in 1Password, open Settings > Advanced and tap Erase all 1Password data. This will do what it says, then quit 1Password. Don't worry, your data is still on your Mac.
    2. On your Mac, go to 1Password's Preferences > Backup and click Backup Now just in case you ever need to refer back to this data.
    3. Next, go to Preferences > Sync and switch the sync selector from Dropbox to None. Make sure you tick to box to remove the data in Dropbox as well.
    4. Still on your Mac, use 1Password's vault menu to switch to the AgileKeychain vault (whatever it's called), then from your Mac's menubar, choose 1Password > Delete (name of vault) Vault. This should delete your local copy of the vault, leaving you with only the Primary vault which is syncing via Dropbox to the OPVault.
    5. On your iPad, re-launch 1Password and it will be as if you've never used 1Password before. At the Welcome screen, choose to sync with Dropbox, and make sure you choose the existing OPVault.

That should get you all set with only one vault (the OPVault) containing a complete and up-to-date copy of your 1Password data. Let us know how it goes!

• BunyipCatcher
    BunyipCatcher
    Community Member

Lars,

Thankyou. I believe that has sorted it all out. Thanks for the detailed explanation. That helped make it very easy to follow.

Regards,
    Scott

• MaxSiegel
    MaxSiegel
    1Password Alumni

Hi there, @BunyipCatcher. On Lars's behalf, you are most welcome! I'm glad those steps did the trick here. Please let us know if you have any other questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.