How do I get my 1Password account to work on my iphone as well as desktop?

Options
Confused_user
Confused_user
Community Member

I used to have all this working pretty well, but then changed to a different iPhone. 1Password stopped working and said it wasn't synced to dropbox (where the vault is).
I deleted it an downloaded it from the App store. it asks me to sign into my 1Password acount. It asked my for my secret key - what is this? I have a long string of numbers/letter and dashes that is the licence key, is this not it? It doesn't seem to work. So where do I find my secret key?
Any help would be be great.

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: Mac OS 10.13.3
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:install 1password on iphone

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Confused_user - if you've been using 1Password as a standalone app on your previous iPhone and syncing via Dropbox, then you should be able to choose Dropbox as your sync method right from the initial (Welcome) screen. You won't have a Secret Key, because those are only used in 1password.com accounts, which you won't have if you've been using Dropbox as your sync method. What do you see on your 1Password screen right now? Are you able to use the back button to return to the Welcome screen? If so, choose Dropbox as your sync method (under "Already using 1Password?"). That should allow you to use your existing 1Password keychain in Dropbox, but let us know if you have any further issues.

• Confused_user
    Confused_user
    Community Member
    Options

Many thanks. I managed to do something like what you said and have finally got it working. I'm not sure I used the keychain (not sure what that is) I just used my overall password (the one I use to sign in) and the drop box password to allow access to that.

Lastly will I be charged for joining again as I had to download from the app store?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Confused_user - glad to hear you were able to get things working again. There's no charge to download 1Password for iOS from the App Store, and in fact, it's free for anyone to use the basic features of 1Password for iOS. There's a $10 in-app purchase which unlocks the Pro features, but you only pay for that once; if you've got a new device or had to re-download and install 1Password onto your iOS device, and you've already paid for the Pro features, just tap Settings > Pro features and then tap "Restore Pro features."

If you signed up for a 1password.com account, then yes, you'll be charged for that -- but you don't have to do that to use Dropbox. Did you sign up for an account?

• Confused_user
    Confused_user
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for getting back so quickly.
    I've gone into settings - I'm not sure I need any of the pro features. Waht would be nice would be to be able to sign in to a website directly from ipassword, but that never seems to work. I've just tried one now and I just end up on the website but then have to go back to 1password to find my password.
    Does Pro features offer this? Or do I just have the whole thing set up wrong? I seem to remember it used to do that for some websites. But may have got that wrong.
    If I could do that, it would make my life a whole lot easer!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Confused_user

Waht would be nice would be to be able to sign in to a website directly from ipassword, but that never seems to work.

I agree, that would be nice. And in the desktop versions of 1Password (Mac and PC), we can do that. Unfortunately, iOS is much more sandboxed and constrained than either of those two OSes, so we can't. It's not something we can address: Apple provides us no way to simulate a button-press in a secure way, which is what we'd have to do: simulate the pressing of the "Enter" or "Submit" or "Login" button after filling your data. So, for now and the foreseeable future, you'll be able to use 1Password to fill data into a website's login form, but you'll still have to press the button to submit the form yourself.

• Confused_user
    Confused_user
    Community Member
    Options

I think I explained that badly. What I meant was I keep having to go in and out of 1password on my phone to sign into an application.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Confused_user - ah, OK -- well, that's going to be your only option for any applications that haven't added the 1Password extension code to their own apps. If you have favorite or frequently-used apps on iOS that don't have the 1Password icon in their sign-in process, you can contact the developers and request they add 1Password functionality -- you can even direct them to this page for easy steps on how to do it! However, for any apps that don't have or won't add 1Password extension functionality, you'll need to keep using copy/paste. I usually type in my email address or username, because that's short and I know what it is -- and that saves me one step of having to go back-and-forth between 1Password and the app in question, when I just copy the password.

• Confused_user
    Confused_user
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Lars, that's the way I've been doing it. As long as I'm not doing it in a way that isn't using the full functionality that's fine. Fingers crossed you manage to make the developers see sense over time!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Confused_user

Fingers crossed you manage to make the developers see sense over time!

Amen! To be clear, however, you have waaaay more influence over this as a user than we do as developers. If you take the time to write the developers of your favorite apps to request this, they will know at the very least that a) their app matters to you, b) our app matters to you, and c) it matters enough for you to get in touch.

• Confused_user
    Confused_user
    Community Member
    Options

OK, I will contact them about it whenever I come across it!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good! We're always happy to hear from them to help our mutual customers be more secure. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.