Visa Debit still not supported

Options

On typical (eg virgintrains.co.uk) UK (and maybe other) purchase sites, payment cards have to be specified, and 'visa' and 'visa debit' are really different things. 1password fills in visa and this usually gets interpreted as visa credit, and this usually results in declined payment if not adjusted. Can we please have this apparently simple enhancement to support visa and visa-debit as different? It's been asked for a number of times over the last years, and simply closing the forum discussion item does not mean that the need has gone away. The 1password experience of potentially all UK users would be enhanced if you could do this. Is it really so difficult?

1Password Version: 6.8.6
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: OSX 10.13.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:visa debit

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hello @Peter Knowles,

I suspect we haven't manually closed any of the previous conversations on this matter but instead they've all been closed after being dormant for a period of time. I only say that just to explain that we're not dismissing the request. It is an ongoing request that we still haven't resolved and unfortunately I'm not sure if/when it will be addressed. Part of the issue is that the current selection of cards is hardcoded into the data formats meaning it isn't a simple x character addition and done. I'm based in the UK myself so I know what you're suffering although that will be of little comfort. Sometimes though design decisions made years ago can exert an influence and alter how easy or hard a change can be. I will make a note of your request to help show this is still an issue for some of our users.

ref: OPM-940

• qualeb0y
    qualeb0y
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue here. Thanks for the explanation of the issue, but still unsure why this isn't something that could be fixed relatively quickly (It's been reported on the forums for over 4 years). Please could you elaborate on why the hardcoding is an issue? There are currently 11 card type choices, which would require 4 bits to encode, but that would also allow an additional 5 card types (4 bits allows for 16 values). Are these bits shared with other fields? If it is not possible to encode due to the data format being hardcoded, why not just provide another data format specifically for debit cards? You could even call it European Debit Cards to avoid any confusion if it is not relevant to the american market?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It can't be "fixed" because it isn't a bug. And changes in this area won't happen quickly because there's a set template that seven different apps use and depend on. We'd definitely like to offer more flexibility in the future, but given this comes up so infrequently it hasn't been something we can justify prioritizing over other things which are much more commonly requested.

This discussion has been closed.