different master password for the same vaults on different devices?

Options
m_w
m_w
Community Member
edited February 2018 in Families

Hi - my question is more a generic one:

I'm using all latest versions of 1Password on 2 iMacs, a Windows laptop, an iPad, and a number of iPhones. I have a Families account and a combination of old-style Dropbox-synced vaults and newer 1Password-synced vaults. One thing I noticed is that when I unlock 1Password on my iMac I have to enter an old master password my wife used to use on her iMac to unlock her 1Password. On my iPhone, I have to use the same old master password as on my iMac. But when I unlock 1Password on my laptop, which looks at the same Families account, i.e. the same combination of vaults, I have to use my master password that is set in our team account. My wife uses her master password set for our team account on her iMac and her iPhone.

Therefore my question: what determines which master password is set to unlock the 1Password app?

Cheers
Michael

_1Password Version: latest
_Extension Version: latest
_OS Version: latest macOS, iOS, and Win10
_Sync Type: Families & Dropbox

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hi Michael ( @m_w )

The rules are:

• If a Primary vault exists unlock using the Master Password of that vault. This rule overrides all other rules.
    • If a single 1Password.com account is signed in then unlock using the Master Password for that account.
    • If multiple 1Password.com account are signed in then unlock using the Master Password of the first one that was added.

So for example:

I have two 1Password.com accounts (Account A and Account B ) and on some devices I have a Primary vault.

• On my iPad I’m signed in to both Account A and Account B, but I have a Primary vault, so 1Password on this device unlocks with the Master Password of the Primary vault.
    • On my iPhone I’m only signed in to Account B, so 1Password unlocks with the Master Password of Account B.
    • On my Mac I’m signed in to Account A and B, but I added Account A to this device first, so 1Password unlocks with the Master Password of Account A.

Most people will probably want to use the same Master Password for each device, and so our general recommendation is:

• Don’t have any Primary vaults unless necessary.
    • Sign in to the account that has the Master Password that you want to use to unlock your devices first on every device.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member
    Options

Great - that's exactly what I wanted to know :)

• Ben
    Options

:+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.