Apply License button does not work

jbierman
jbierman
Community Member
edited February 2018 in Mac

I recently migrated to a new mac laptop and now my 1Password app is in read-only mode. I made email request for my license and it came just fine. As instructed I "Click here to Apply Your 1Password License" and Firefox downloads my license file and asks to open the associated app. I click Open 1Password and the 1 Password Registration dialog opens. I click the Add License... button but nothing happens. Please advise.

1Password Version: 6.8.5
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: OS X 10.13.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jbierman - sorry for the trouble! The only reason 1Password for Mac is ever in Read Only mode is if you previously had been using 1Password purchased from and licensed through us (AgileBits), but on a new or reformatted computer, you downloaded it from the Mac App Store. You can verify this by looking at the 1Password app in your Applications folder: does it say 1Password 6? Or does it only say 1Password? The former is our version, the latter is from the Mac App Store. They're essentially the same, but the have different payment and delivery methods. Because purchases made via Apple are tied to your Apple ID, there's no mechanism to use a 1Password license obtained from us, and no way for a Mac App Store copy of 1Password to "know" you purchased from us previously. You'll need to:

1. Quit 1Password and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu)
    2. Head over to our downloads page and download the latest version of 1Password for Mac (6.8.6)
    3. Run the package installer to install 1Password 6 into your Applications folder
    4. Delete 1Password (not 1Password 6) from your Applications folder. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to the Trash.

Let us know how it goes for you!

• jbierman
    jbierman
    Community Member

YESSS!!!!! That works! Thank you! Thank you!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jbierman - you're quite welcome! Glad I was able to help you get things straightened out. :)

This discussion has been closed.