Can't add web form details

I am trying to include the account field in the web form details for AWS.
The problem is that there are three fields that need to be filled in:

• account
  • username
  • password

Here is a photo:

1Password only saves the username and password into Web Form Details.
I see no way of adding the account into the web form details (I am using 1Password for Windows).
I have already followed these instructions: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/385057/#Comment_385057 but they do not help, they only save the username and password.
This is really annoying since I have multiple accounts and would really like to able to use the browser extension to fill in this information for me

1Password Version: 6.8.496
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: Windows 10 Enterprise
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @Hjalti,

If I save a Login item from inside the browser it saves everything and fills all three fields so we need to figure out why it isn't for you. I'm attaching a screenshot of 1Password 6 for Windows side by side with a browser and with the web form details section expanded to show what was saved. This is what should be saved for you as well unless something really weird is going on. We will only display the account ID in the web form details section but the important bit is this is what 1Password uses for filling. This Login item was saved using the steps detailed on our page How to save a Login manually in your browser.

Hopefully the image is legible.

• Hjalti
    Hjalti
    Community Member

Hi @littlebobbytables,

Thank you for your reply! I tried following the link in your answer and it partially works.
    After clicking 'Save New Login' I get two options
    1. Update existing
    2. Create new

Here is a photo of the options I get:

If I choose update existing, then nothing is updated and the web form details still only include username and password
    If I however choose create new, then suddenly all the fields appear under Web Form Details!

So a couple of questions:
    1. Why doesn't the Update Existing button work the same way as Create New (in regards to the web form details)?
    2. Since the Update existing doesn't work, is there any way for me to copy over the OneTime Password field from the original 1Password item over to the new one?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Hjalti,

When the update existing option was originally designed it was intended for updating passwords on existing Login items when you use the site's change password form. As a result it only changes the value stored in the designated password field rather than replacing the existing web form details. We do see confusion here and we need to find a way that improves on the existing behaviour. What we don't want happening is users replacing the existing web form details on the likes of a change password form which would save all sorts of unnecessary data while also potentially wiping out important details.

The good news is you can easily copy the TOTP from one item to another. If you edit the existing Login item with the TOTP code you should see the stored secret, probably in the form of an otpauth URI. If you copy the entire thing and add it as a new custom field to the new item you should find that they both display the same generated code as they both now store the same secret for generating the code. Once you've confirmed you can safely delete the old item. This is one thing I do like about 1Password, the fact that the secret is always retrievable unlike some other TOTP implementations I've seen where once the secret is stored it cannot be retrieved.

I hope that helps :smile:

• Hjalti
    Hjalti
    Community Member

Hi @littlebobbytables,

Ok, I can understand why you wouldn't want to update other fields on password reset pages.
    How about offering two options when updating existing: 'Replace all' and 'Password only', where 'Password only' would be the default?

It is totally awesome that I can copy the otpauth URI! I have know moved this to the new item and everything works perfectly! Thanks for an awesome product and support!

Best regards,
    Hjalti

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @Hjalti,

At least we got things working with the new Login item and all the details moved over :smile: You're right that an option titled replace password only should be intuitive for everybody, the trick is ensuring everybody understands what the other option means. We've never stressed the purpose of the web form details, mostly/hopefully people don't need to know so it's finding a way that ensures we don't generate confusion. It may sound like it should be simple but we've seen time and time again how much impact a single sentence, indeed even a word can have on how people view something followed by the fallout from our choice. That said, if we can find the right way of displaying it the addition of updating the entire web form details would be a very handy one indeed.

This discussion has been closed.