Bug: 1Password cannot open certain URLs

Temptin
Temptin
Community Member

I put this as the "Download Page" URL of a software license:

https://builds.mixedinkey.com/download/41/release/latest?key=4a%xTN*3vDrG4xbsMvg^w2Op

(The actual key is different, I have changed every letter to hide my real serial)

When I click the URL in 1Password Mini, it says "Failed to launch browser for the URL: ...".

I guess all those special characters are confusing 1P itself... because if I manually paste such a URL in Safari it works fine.

1Password Version: 6.8.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Temptin - the % symbol in particular is an encoding symbol, which is likely what's causing the problem. I'd see if you can land on that page itself by removing the ? and everything after, and then leaving the key as a field within the Software License record. Does that allow you to manually input the key?

• Temptin
    Temptin
    Community Member
    edited February 2018

@Lars Hmm, okay I see the issue. The "4a%xTN*3vDrG4xbsMvg^w2Op" string is not well-encoded by the authors of that URL (the software company). When I took that part and encoded it at https://www.url-encode-decode.com it gave me "4a%25xTN%2A3vDrG4xbsMvg%5Ew2Op". And that new, special encoding works from 1Password's end when I had updated the URL to the "fixed" one.

The question is: Should 1Password detect bad encoding and fix it before passing the URL to the browser? Or should it fail as it does today? That's a question for you guys to consider... Because it could have taken care of this URL on its own, by doing what normal web browsers (such as Safari) would do if confronted with the unencoded URL in my first post: It still works and performs the request...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Temptin -- yeah, that's a question that's more on the "what should we do here" level, and frankly it's not a decision that's mine to make. I'll definitely pass along the link to this conversation though as part of the larger conversation, and thank you once again for reporting it! Have a great weekend. :)

• Temptin
    Temptin
    Community Member

Thanks for passing it along, Lars. And I hope you have a great weekend too! :-)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

I did. :-) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.