1password won't sync through Dropbox on iOS 9 any more

Options
Devotee
Devotee
Community Member

My wife has an old version of iPhone - iOS 9. She noticed it stopped syncing to Dropbox so deleted and re-installed 1password on iPhone. Then it would not link to Dropbox at all. 1password would find it and Fropbox would allow but it kept saying Error Keychain or something like that. I tried everything: restarting, deleting and reinstalling, making sure Dropbox app was the latest, cresting a new master account and then trying to sync to Dropbox (same error in 1password), syncing with iCloud and linking to Dropbox (same error). My daughter had the same problem with an old version of iOS and 1password so she now syncs through iCloud but we can't do that because a PC is one of the computers we have to sync from. My suspicion is that Dropbox updated to version 82.2.2 which is the same on my iPhone and works great with 1password but that the 1password app on the older iOS for my wife and daughter will not work. It's a problem with 1password and not Dropbox. Any help? We can't upgrade the iOS to iOS 11 because we have older computers. And we are considering the 1password subscription but we are nervous with this working with all our older computers do until we can afford new computers we have to get by for now. Here's what we have using the same Dropbox 1password:

Mac OS 10.10 (family computer)
Mac OS 10.8.5 (my computer)
Mac OS 10.7+ (Wife's computer)
Windows 8 (my work tablet and CAN NEVER UPGRADE AS I NEED AN OLD APP)
iPhone iOS 10.2 (my phone- can't upgrade for now due to incompatibility with Mac OS)
iPhone iOS 9+ (wife--same update issue)
iPhone iOS 8+ (daughters - she could update if 1password family subscription would work for the rest of us)

So if there's no luck with correcting my wife's old iOS, I'm wondering if your subscription service would allow us to sync flawlessly with all our multitude of iOS and Mac/PC versions. If so, then we love 1password enough to do the subscription now, but if not then it will have to wait until we can afford two new computers.

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Devotee

Thanks for taking the time to write in. 1Password.com membership requires 1Password 6 for iOS, which requires iOS 9.3. Further details regarding system requirements can be found here:

System requirements for 1Password

On some of the older systems it may be possible, if you’re able to install a modern web browser, to access 1Password through the 1Password.com web interface. You’re welcome to sign up for a trial account and see if that works. You may need to install a web browser other than Safari, such as Firefox or Chrome, in order to make access, but that may work.

That said, the unfortunate reality is that you can’t expect technology that is “frozen in time” to continue to be practical for more than a few years. We can really only support, at the most, operating systems which are still supported by the company that makes them. It’ll eventually reach a point where even if the hardware is still functioning there will simply be too many incompatibilities with modern software to make continued use a realistic option for day-to-day usage.

That is without even getting into the security aspect of the difficulty of using older tech. I certainly wouldn’t recommend connecting any device running an OS that is no longer supported by the manufacturer to the internet. OS X 10.7 hasn’t been touched by Apple in over 5 years. OS X 10.8 hasn’t been touched in over 2 years. A lot of things have been discovered or changed since then.

I’m sorry I don’t have a better answer for you, but as time passes things are only going to degrade further. You may want to consider keeping the old devices around to run the specialized software, but investing in new devices for day-to-day tasks, and disconnect the old devices from the internet.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@Devotee please check into getting more updated stuff. There are tons of security issues with anything older than 11.2.5 for iOS and older Mac OS.

Just look up
    KRACK, Meltdown, and Spectre

Some of the biggest issues out there right now. I know how it can be when money is tight, but if an attacker gets your data and/or identity, it will be way worse financially.

1st rule of cyber security, keep your OS and software up to date.

• Devotee
    Devotee
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Prime. I keep everything that's a security risk in 1password or on an encrypted disk (using Knox) on my computer? Would I still be at risk or are you talking about other security issues separate from 1password? [And I'm looking into biting the bullet to get new stuff but it involves upgrading for the whole family so it's mucho $$$$$$---yikes!]

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@Devotee these are different than 1Password. KRACK is w WiFi vulnerability, while Meltdown and Spectre affects all processors (meltdown mainly for intel). It’s huge. Do some research on all 3.

• Devotee
    Devotee
    Community Member
    Options

Will do. I appreciate you taking the time to help me.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

@devotee not a problem!

Those 3 vulnerabilities are the latest. I bet iOS 8 and 9 have way more vulnerabilities that I don’t know off the top of my head. I bet Mac 10.7 and 10.8 have a lot too, that I just don’t remember off hand.

I get it, making a computer last as long as possible. My aluminum MacBook is 9 years old, but it’s running El Capitan. I just got security updates last week. I’m good for a bit yet, maybe a year.

If you like Macs, check out Apple.com, and the refurbished store. Save $100’s off of a new Mac, and then can get the latest and greatest 1Password ;)

• Ben
    Options

Prime makes some great points. I know it can be financially challenging but having the latest operating system isn’t just about having the latest features and flashy interface... it is about security as well.

Ben

• Dr_Wayne
    Dr_Wayne
    Community Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

I'm dying here..... I love 1password and have been using for about 10 years... I can't live without it.

I'm similarly situated but I am in the middle of upgrading from os10.8.5 -- so currently running ios 9.3.5 and 1password 6.1.2

My problem is that my primary device is my iphone. It is the most up to date on 1password with more items.

This happened as I didn't notice 1password wasn't syncing (same dropbox issue). I noticed some passwords and items weren't on my computer, thankfully -- I tried to fix the dropbox syncing issue to no avail.

So, I am just now attempting to upgrade 1password on the iphone. I thought that then I would do the computer to sierra later.

The video isn't my 1password 6 app -- so its not helpful

here's the instructions:

1-Open and unlock 1Password.
    2-Tap Settings, then tap 1Password Accounts.
    3-Tap Add Existing Account.
    4-Tap Scan Account Details.
    5-Follow the onscreen instructions to find and scan your Setup Code. Need help?

I can't get my vault to my newly created 1password.com. Support is telling me I can. I have viewed the link supplied many many times... but my app on my phone doesnt have step 3.

It does have 1password for teams button -- So I tried that and scanned the qr code. Nope -- alert "no response code from the server. Please try again" -- which I did. No luck.

Its 4am where I am.... Help please.

ref: HYP-45571-281

• Hey @Dr_Wayne. Thanks for getting in touch on our forum. I have sent you a follow up reply via our email conversation, so let's continue our chat over there. I look forward to hearing from you. :)

Ref: HYP-45571-281

This discussion has been closed.