Master Password on iOS works but not for Mac

donfoose
donfoose
Community Member

It took a while for me to get the hang of using 1Password but I eventually got their and use it more on my iPhone than Mac. On both my mini and iPhone the master password is correct and working. Recently bought a Mac Air and downloaded the app. and after getting it to sync with iCloud it prompted me for the password which I entered but is not accepting the master. Not sure why the master works on two different devices but not my new device. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've exhausted all resources to diagnose myself. Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.8.6
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: OS X 10.13.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• donfoose
    donfoose
    Community Member

Does anyone know where I can go to email technical support instead of waiting for an answer on the forum?

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

On the whole the forums are at least as fast as email, probably faster. Part of the reason for this is that experienced users can often help on the forums.

Since the Air is a new machine for you, are you sure that the keyboard is set the same as for your mini and iphone. For instance, you might be using a UK keyboard on some machines but US on the other. Are you using any special characters, particularly accented ones? They can also cause issues.

• donfoose
    donfoose
    Community Member

Both Phone and Mac are using US Keyboard setup.

• donfoose
    donfoose
    Community Member

Maybe its time to go back to Apple keychain, easier transition amongst devices and cloud and have been waiting for a response to no avail.

• donfoose
    donfoose
    Community Member

Nope I'm not a newbie, I clicked on sync, did not work, settings, iCloud Drive, worked, prompt, master? entered, wrong.... So my question is how is it right on 2 devices but not the brand new 3rd? Logically it does not make sense, and still no support from the tech staff, I'm offline till Wed. was hoping to get this resolved beforehand, keychain it is, I do not have time for this. Sub. done.

• jvfnyc
    jvfnyc
    Community Member

I agree with donfoose. Something is wrong with iCloud synch via Mac. I'm following the troubleshooting steps by disabling and deleting the file on iCloud. When I try to synch again, my Mac says iCloud not available. Please fix this.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2018

Welcome to the forum, @donfoose! In general, we're aware of no major issues with iCloud at the moment. The most-recent one was the reauthorization issue, but that's been resolved by updating 1Password to version 6.8.6 (the current one). Thanks to @sylath and @danco for pitching in on this thread.

Sorry for the delay in our reply. We run a much lighter crew on the weekend for obvious reasons, so you will likely be waiting a bit longer if you choose to post on a Saturday or Sunday. We answer our support requests in the order we receive them (in general) and we have been experiencing a surge in support requests lately as well. I see in the interim, you've contacted our email support and one of my colleagues has replied. For your privacy and security, let's keep the conversation going over there.

Edited to add: sorry, it appears that email to support was from a much earlier issue (8 months ago or so). At this point, to get a better idea of what might be going on with your 1Password setup, I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices.

—Mac—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

—iOS—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?ios

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#XVD-14781-339]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @donfoose only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: XVD-14781-339

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jvfnyc - if iCloud is not available on your Mac, there isn't much we can do to fix it. If you've already run through all of the troubleshooting steps in order, and completely, then I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/86619/master-password-on-ios-works-but-not-for-mac#latest
    • Your forum username: @jvfnyc

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number in the Subject/title.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the diagnostics we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• jvfnyc
    jvfnyc
    Community Member
    edited February 2018

I'm happy to send a diagnostic report. But you're not tracking what I'm experiencing. iCloud is available to all my other Mac functions (calendar, contacts, keychain, etc). My iPhone version of 1Password is synching with iCloud - no problem. It's failing with my Mac. This iCloud synch issue goes back months and there are many people complaining about it. I hope you pay proper attention. Will send a report.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited February 2018

None of those functions use the same iCloud API that 1Password does. 1Password uses Apple’s CloudKit API to interface with iCloud, and it requires iCloud Drive to be turned on in order to function. Please let us know your support ID once you have sent the report.

Ben

• jvfnyc
    jvfnyc
    Community Member

I have submitted my diagonstic report and have added a few screen shots showing that I can't select iCloud as an option for backup on my laptop <#MLA-25825-163>.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jvfnyc - thanks! We've received your email and it looks as if my colleague Andrew is already assisting you. To avoid confusion and since this involves discussion of the specifics of your setup, let's keep the conversation going via email. :)

• jvfnyc
    jvfnyc
    Community Member

Andrew appears to be saying 1Password no longer supports iCloud synch and I should switch to a new 1Password service. Am I interpreting that correctly?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jvfnyc

Am I interpreting that correctly?

No. We still support iCloud sync; it's available in both current versions of 1Password for Mac and 1Password for iOS, and it will be when the upcoming 1Password 7 is released also. iCloud sync continues to be the successful sync method of choice for many of our users. I don't want to put words in Andrew's mouth, but it appears what he was pointing out was that one of the main reasons 1password.com memberships were created was to give users a more-stable, faster sync solution that didn't depend upon integration with 3rd party APIs and user configuration. It's just a suggestion.

Can you confirm for us that you've visited System Preferences > iCloud > Options and made sure that the check-box next to 1Password is enabled, please? Thanks in advance.

This discussion has been closed.