To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

why am I being asked for my secret key every time I sign in to the 1password website? I have it but

Options
sarawebb
sarawebb
Community Member

it's cumbersome. I don't remember doing this before. I just want to be able to add to my categories and I don't think I can do that from the little icon on my desktop.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:why am I being asked for my secret key every time I sign in to the 1password website? I have it, but

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hi, @sarawebb. Sorry for the trouble you're having with your Secret Key on the 1Password website. To be clear, it sounds you mean the trouble is with signing in to 1password.com rather than using the 1Password X extension in Chrome. Is that correct?

When you sign in to your 1Password.com family account in your browser, 1Password.com will by default save your Secret Key information to a database in your browser's local storage. If this database gets deleted, then the Secret Key will need to be reentered the next time.

The most common way for the database to get deleted is by using various cache or local data cleaning operations of your browser or by using some sort of system cleaning utility such as Cocktail or Onyx. For instance, clearing the history in Safari (my day-to-day browser) by default also clears the website data, which includes the database, but if I hold the option key when I click the Safari menu, I get the "Clear History and Keep Website Data…" option.

Does any of that sound like it might be at work in your situation?

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

This discussion has been closed.