Non organizer sharing a vault with another non organizer.

prime
prime
Community Member

Now I know I can test this, but I’m lazy haha

When a non family organizer (family member) makes another vault under their 1Password, can they share that vault with another non-family organizer (another family member)?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• If I had a dime for every time I chose to be lazy instead of testing something myself... :)

Yes, @prime. When you create a vault, you can share it with any member in the family regardless of their role. Note that the Family Organizers will always have Manage access to that vault, and so they inherently get access to the vault that was created. But as a user, you can give non-organizers access to it if you created it.

Does that make sense?

Rick

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@rickfillion not sure how I did that, posting in the wrong tread. Isn’t that a privacy issue? I as an family organizer shouldn’t be able to assign any vault that I didn’t make to myself.

• @prime: for some people, that might constitute a privacy issue, yes.

It was done this way because the Family Organizer is the one that's really expected to be doing the management of vaults. In a lot of cases a user creates a vault and assumes that everyone else within the Family can access it, when that's not the case. The Family Organizer then helps them out and shares it with whomever is needed.

In a Family scenario, this is typically fine. If it's not fine for you, we'd love to hear more about it.

Rick

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited February 2018

@rickfillion I actually assumed if a person makes a vault, only that person sees it... glad I asked. I know if I make a vault, my wife can assign it to herself, because she’s a family organizer as well.

This right here is why my daughter can never be a family organizer, because I can’t have her seeing the vault with bills info that my wife and I share. It has banking info, retirement info, and more.

I would LOVE to make my daughter an organizer, because she is tech savvy and would be a great back up in case something happens to myself and my wife... since my wife and I go out of town a lot together.

She told me she made a vault for school stuff, but I don’t go on the website often anyways and didn’t look. I bet any money she assumes I can’t assign it to myself... if I wanted too.

• Thanks @prime.

I'd like bring more power to non-organizer accounts so that they could help in that kind of scenario, and that'd help at least somewhat in this case.

I agree that it's likely that a member assumes that the vault they create is truly private, and that's unfortunate. I think we need to do more there to educate users about what we're doing.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.