I wiped my computer and am re-installing 1password and having trouble with my license

Options
simonbiswas
simonbiswas
Community Member

I did a fresh start on my mac and wiped it clean and re-installed everything on High Sierra. I am having difficulty activating 1password with my license. Every-time it asks me to upload my license I try to do it and the software just hangs. 1pass is where I keep all my passwords so it's the first thing I wanted to get back online as I install other stuff back onto the computer. I can't even sign into the website because I don't have a secret key. Can you please help?

1Password Version: 6.8.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.3
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:i cant seem to use my license

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @simonbiswas! You bet I can help. :) The reason you can't sign into 1password.com is almost certainly because you don't have a 1password.com account. If you've been using 1Password for a few years and you have a license, that's not the same thing as a 1password.com account. You've been using 1Password as a standalone app with local data, which requires a license. So, it's not the license itself that's causing you troubles, its that you're not getting to your existing data.

Can I ask: when you said you "wiped it clean and re-installed everything on High Sierra," does that mean you did full wipe of your drive, including your user account? Or did you just re-install High Sierra? Prior to this, were you syncing your 1Password data with any other devices, and if so by what method? Dropbox? iCloud? WLAN? Do you have your 1Password data on any other devices right now?

• KenHewitt
    KenHewitt
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem as @simonbiswas. I had to completely wipe my hard drive, and re-install Mac OS (Catalina), as well as ALL apps - including 1Password 6. My data is stored in Dropbox - 1Password.agilekeychain.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@KenHewitt:

What version of the 1Password app did you reinstall? Please make sure it matches the version of the app you purchased (for example, if you purchased 1Password 6, you won't be able to activate 1Password 7 without a license for that version).

Also, can you please clarify where you are getting stuck exactly?

• OogieM
    OogieM
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having a similar issue. I have 1Password standalone version 7.4 installed on my main iMac running High Sierra.

I use WLAN sync from that machine to sync with my iOS devices.

I have 2 mac laptops, one older MacAir also running High Sierra and 1 brand new one running Catalina.

The way I keep the 1Password in sync from iMac to old MacAir is run a ChronoSync job that copies the folder Documents/1Password from iMac to old MacAir when I want to update it. When I set it up initially I used that method to overwrite the empty 1Password primary vault 1Password.opvault that had been created in the folder Documents/1Password

Now on the new MacAir under Catalina I installed 1Password, got my license attached to it and went to look for the folder 1Password in Documents but it isn't there. I've looked for where the new system is storing the installed initial primary vault but I can't find it so I can't force an overwrite. All the help documents talk about a 1Password folder in Library/Application Support but there isn't one there either on the new MacAir.

It is not an option to use iCloud, or Dropbox or any other cloud based system to keep the 3 macs in sync. I am required to do it manually.

So I need to know where to find the .opvault file I have to replace on the new MacAir under Catalina so I can set up a new ChronoSync job that will perform the copies correctly.

• OogieM
    OogieM
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having a similar issue. I have 1Password standalone version 7.4 installed on my main iMac running High Sierra.

I use WLAN sync from that machine to sync with my iOS devices.

I have 2 mac laptops, one older MacAir also running High Sierra and 1 brand new one running Catalina.

The way I keep the 1Password in sync from iMac to old MacAir is run a ChronoSync job that copies the folder Documents/1Password from iMac to old MacAir when I want to update it. When I set it up initially I used that method to overwrite the empty 1Password database that had been created in the folder Documents/1Password.

Now on the new MacAir under Catalina I installed 1Password, got my license attached to it and went to look for the folder 1Password in Documents but it isn't there. I've looked for where the new system is storing the installed initial primary vault but I can't find it so I can't force an overwrite.

It is not an option to use iCloud, or Dropbox or any other cloud based system to keep the 3 macs in sync. I am required to do it manually.

So I need to know where to find the files I have to replace on the new MacAir under Catalina so I can set up a new ChronSync job that will perform the copies correctly. All the help documents talk about a 1Password folder in Library/Application Support but there isn't one there either on the new MacAir.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2019
    Options

@OogieM - ~/Library/Application Support was where 1Password's files were located for versions 4-6 of 1Password, if installed from our own website (though not the Mac App Store). In 1Password 7 for Mac, files are at ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password.

That said, we're unable to provide support for this type of manual syncing using a 3rd party app for local sync due to the wide variety of issues, most of which are outside of our control, and the resulting potential for problems.

• OogieM
    OogieM
    Community Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

There are no .opvault files in those folders on either old or new MacAir.

However I could get the passwords moved by restoring from the latest backup from my main Mac. I'm still trying to figure out how to do my sync.

Ideally you'd allow WLAN sync to handle syncing between multiple computers. Its so easy to use that for iOS devices and would solve lots of problems for those of use who cannot use cloud based sync options that run on servers we do not control.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@OogieM: That doesn't sound ideal at all. :) The 1Password desktop app runs the WLAN Server, with one or more mobile devices being clients that connect to that to sync; the server keeps track of the sync state to avoid conflicts and data loss. Having two servers would be problematic, to say the least. One thing that would help though is having a single server which all of your devices could connect to to sync changes...but that's describing 1Password.com, and w'eve built that already. Although you do not and cannot run that yourself, that would be time consuming and require manpower and expertise you -- and, let's be honest, other individuals -- do not have. That's nothing against you, just that it's a full time job, and not one for a single person working alone either. But at the same time, even though you don't run the server yourself in that case, you're still in control because only you ever have the keys to your data. There's a lot more detail in our security white paper (which is actually a really fun read, even if you're not into cryptography), but I'd like to offer a few points that summarize how 1Password secures our data:

1. Your 1Password data is encrypted locally on your device before it is transmitted.
    2. The server receives only an encrypted blob.
    3. Your Master Password is never transmitted.

You might think I'm talking about 1Password.com specifically there, but that's the case no matter what 1Password setup you use — the only difference being that 1Password.com data is also encrypted using the 128-bit randomly generated Secret Key, which is also never transmitted to us. So there's an additional layer of security there as well.

And you also don't have to staff and maintain a server infrastructure yourself, much less " figure out how to do my sync", as that's all built in, and you simply sign into your account on each device to authorize it. ;)

• OogieM
    OogieM
    Community Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

"The 1Password desktop app runs the WLAN Server, with one or more mobile devices being clients that connect to that to sync; the server keeps track of the sync state to avoid conflicts and data loss. Having two servers would be problematic, to say the least. "

Um... You may have misunderstood. I only have the single main iMac running a WLAN server to sync my iOS devices. I treat all other computers as slaves to the master iMac. My ideal would be running the sync on one of our existing servers and slaving all machines, both iOS and Mac OSX to that one sync server.

And while I have read the white paper and have experience with other security systems and cryptanalysis. It is still not an option to use the 1Password.com server. 128-bit encryption is not as secure as most folks think. It's not an option for my work stuff. It has to stay on servers we control per contract.

My ideal would much like how I sync Omnifocus and DEVONThink. I have the Omnifocus Syncstore on one of our servers and all devices use that to get the data. Ditto for DEVONThink. It's convenient, secure and meets our contract requirements.

• Ben
    Options

Expanding the capabilities of the WLAN server is not a path we're currently considering. Our focus is on 1Password.com, and that is likely to continue to be the case for the foreseeable future. Also, I'd be interested in seeing your sources claiming the encryption is a weak link in the chain. Obviously if you've signed contracts preventing you from using 1Password.com that's your prerogative, but some of the bigger names in tech & security[1] are using it. :) 1Password.com was designed from the ground up to be business-ready, and to address the needs of business customers. In fact our first offering on 1Password.com was 1Password Teams. The consumer offerings didn't come until later.

We don't offer any non-cloud options that are capable of syncing all of your devices. The cloud is a requirement if you want to keep everything in sync. I'd recommend reaching out to our business team at business@1password.com to express your concerns. They'd be in the best position to address them. They can also put you in touch with our security team if you have any questions about the white paper or design decisions.

Thanks.

Ben

[1] "And we have over 50,000 (fifty thousand!) paying business customers, like Basecamp, Slack, and IBM – with employees who actually enjoy using 1Password." via https://blog.1password.com/accel-partnership/

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@OogieM: I definitely undertstood what you were trying to do, which is why I took the time to explain why that's not supported. I think you should read the white paper again. We are not using "128-bit encryption".

This discussion has been closed.