Don't see WLAN server icon

Options
wrighax
wrighax
Community Member

I want to enable WLAN syncing with my iPhone and iPad now that I have 1Password 6 on my laptop. I go to 1Password preferences but I do not see a WLAN server icon. I can't see how to enable wifi syncing. Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:wlan server sync

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wrighax - The only reason you won't see either the Sync tab or the WLAN Server tab in Preferences on 1Password for Mac would be if you're using a 1password.com account for your data and you have no local (standalone) vaults.

Fortunately, the good news if that's the case is that you do not need to set up WLAN sync because your data are already kept in sync by the 1password.com server as part of your 1Password membership. 🙂

• wrighax
    wrighax
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, I give up I'll use the 1Password.com account but now how do I get my iPad and iPhone to sync to it? They are really the apps with the more up to date vaults...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wrighax - So, let's back up a step here. If you were previously using 1Password in standalone mode with local data, then you absolutely should be seeing both the WLAN Server and Sync options in 1Password's Preferences. You're not required to use a 1password.com account, of course (though we definitely think it's the right choice for most people), but I assumed you didn't have local vaults because if you were using local vaults in 1Password for Mac, you would see those sync options that aren't necessary (and therefore not displayed) with an account-only setup. Can you elaborate a bit for me? Were you previously using 1Password with local data (perhaps on your iPhone/iPad)? And most importantly: do you want to use a 1password.com account, or do you want to continue to use 1Password in standalone mode, with local sync?

• wrighax
    wrighax
    Community Member
    Options

You are GREAT! So responsive! --Okay here is the whole deal. I used stand alone 1Password on my desktop and primarily used that one to sync with my iPhone and iPad. I think in the distant past every once in a while I would make this laptop the computer that could sync with the iOS devices and get it up to date but either I stopped being successful at that or whatever, at some point I was just using the desktop. --Fine except now the Desktop is in another state (where we are moving to sometime this year) and I am using the laptop more and wanted it to be brought up to date. I CAN get the iPassword 3 app it to see the iOS devices but when I try to sync the phone can't find a computer. I clicked on change WLAN server but it said to "disable sync" --should I do that? --and meanwhile that is on the OLD 1Password 3 app anyway.... Head swimming

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wrighax - Thanks for the kind words, and for the backstory. 1Password 3 for Mac is quite old at this point, having been retired to legacy status some time ago. That also explains why you don't see "WLAN Server" in it -- because that's not what it was called in 1Password 3 for Mac. Regardless, unless your laptop is running a VERY old version of OS X, you should be upgrading to the new version of 1Password for Mac (6.8.6) anyway.

If you're using a Mac that's old enough that you can't upgrade to a modern version of macOS, you'll be restricted in how far you can update 1Password as well. If that's the case, your options get kind of thin for keeping everything in sync, due to the difficulty of maintaining compatibility across time, what with various third-party APIs getting discontinued and other changes in both 1Password and the OSes on which it runs.

Because this is going to likely get into some nitty-gritty about your personal setup and what steps to take which a) shouldn't be on a public forum like this and b) will be so specific they probably won't apply to anyone else and may wind up confusing people reading this in the future, I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices.

—Mac—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

—iOS—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?ios

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#VMB-98966-292]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @wrighax only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: VMB-98966-292

• wrighax
    wrighax
    Community Member
    Options

Lars, I DID successfully upgrade to 6.8.6 --it is just a matter of getting it to SYNC with my iPhone and iPad. --I am willing to succumb to the method even --I just don't see how to link my iPad and iPhone to my new membership account..... and as I've said, they are the devices that are most up to date. PS I'm running El Capitan (I think that is the latest OS my MAC can bear, so to speak.)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wrighax - sorry for the confusion. You did indeed say you'd upgraded to version 6 in your initial post -- that's why I was confused when you started talking about version 3 in your last reply.

What you'll want to do is follow these instructions to add your 1password.com account to 1Password for iOS on ONE of your iOS devices (choose the main one, the one you use most). Then use these instructions to migrate your data over from your local vault(s) into your 1password.com account.

Last question for you: is the data on both of your iOS devices the same? In other words, was it previously syncing, and therefore both devices have the same data that is complete and up-to-date?

• wrighax
    wrighax
    Community Member
    Options

Not exactly. The last couple of weeks I think there may be a stray new password etc. on one or the other...That is why I finally felt like I had to get everything to start syncing up!

• wrighax
    wrighax
    Community Member
    Options

Okay Lars! I think I'm all set. all devices seem up to date. Thanks again for sticking with me.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wrighax - The stumbling block here is that you have different -- but very similar -- data sets on two different devices which weren't previously syncing (your iOS devices). You can use the instructions I gave in my last reply to add your account to your iPhone or iPad, then migrate the local data in your Primary vault into the 1password.com account vault...but if you do that on both devices, you're likely to have a considerable number of duplicates. If you're OK with that, it will be the way to go about this which is least likely to result in you losing any data...but it's probably also the most labor-intensive. Once you get the data transferred from standalone -> 1password.com account on BOTH iOS devices, you visit Settings > Advanced and tap on "Erase all 1Password data" on both, then re-start 1Password and sign into your 1password.com account.

Without being able to take a closer look at any of your devices' 1Password setups via a diagnostics report, the above is what I'd recommend.

• wrighax
    wrighax
    Community Member
    Options

I spoke too soon. First -I've already created the duplicate passwords on iOS devices -oh well. but I STILL do not see the passwords that were on the iOS devices on the MacBook nor vice versa.... I like to think I'm one of those people who can follow directions but I am lost as to how to get them to talk to each other. 1Password DID send me emails verifying that the iPhone and iPad and the show up as authorized devices in my 1password profile...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wrighax - Well, don't panic. Your data seems messy but available.

I like to think I'm one of those people who can follow directions...

Well, the one direction I did give you a couple of replies ago was for you to create some diagnostics reports and send them in. Without being able to see that, I'm pretty much playing 20 Questions with you, mostly blind. Can you send those along, please, and we'll get you sorted out? See my earlier post for details. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.