Trouble creating first new password

Options
pbrielmann
pbrielmann
Community Member

Don't see 1Password button in browser toolbar. Using Safari El Capitan.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Don't see 1Password button in my browser's toolbar.

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @pbrielmann! If you don't see 1Password's icon in your browser's toolbar, it sounds as if you might need to install the 1Password extension. If you have done that already, check out this guide on using the 1Password extension to save and fill passwords. Let us know how that goes!

• pbrielmann
    pbrielmann
    Community Member
    Options

I have installed the 1Password extension. I tried creating a new password in one of my accounts but have not been successful in getting into the account with the new password. I tried a couple more times, thinking that I had deleted the previous password but it seems I now have multiple passwords in 1Password for the same account and i can't get into the account with any of them. How can I delete them and start over?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pbrielmann - any 1Password item can be deleted by dragging it to 1Password's Trash. You can empty the trash by control-clicking (or right-clicking) on the Trash itself and choosing "Empty Trash" from the pop-up menu. But don't do that quite yet. When you created the new passwords for the site(s) at which you have an account, did you follow these steps? Or did you do something else?

• pbrielmann
    pbrielmann
    Community Member
    Options

I think I may have been on "Create New" instead of "Update Existing" when I tried to save my new password.

• pbrielmann
    pbrielmann
    Community Member
    Options

I just tried again to create a new password for an account, following the instructions you provided. It went well until the final step. After I used the password generator and clicked on fill, the password spaces were automatically filled in with the new password, but when I clicked on "change" to save the new password, I did not get a pop-up from 1Password (1Password - Save Login) so I did not have the ability to click on "Update Existing". Thus, when I clicked on the 1Password button, and then on the login for my account, it did not successfully open the site. Please help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pbrielmann: Sorry about that. Not all sites are created equally — and many don't adhere to web standards. Fortunately we've built a safety net into 1Password for just such an occurrence:

If you used the password generator and can’t find the password to sign in

When you used 1Password to fill your new generated password, it automatically saved it as a Password item, so you can retrieve it from there to avoid getting locked out of the account you updated. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• pbrielmann
    pbrielmann
    Community Member
    Options

I've now tried this with 3 of my accounts and the same thing happened each time. When I get to the end of the process and have saved the new password on the account website, I do not get a pop up from 1Password that allows me to click on "Update Existing". This is frustrating and I suspect that I'm doing something wrong in the process. Is there any way I can talk to someone on the phone and walk through the process. If not, I'm going to need to cancel out (while I thought I was just doing a free trial, I'm not sure because I got an email thanking for subscribing). How do I make sure I'm just on the free trial?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pbrielmann - no need to worry on the billing: you have entered a credit card for billing, but you are on a free trial for the first 30 days, during which time you can cancel by removing your payment method, and you won't be charged. So, figure a month from whatever date you initially signed up. We don't actually have telephone support for learning how to set up and use 1Password, but we do have a very thorough support site which contains useful guides and step-by-step walk-throughs of how to do all of the basic getting started tasks, including how to set save and fill items in your browser. We're also always here on this forum or at support@agilebits.com if you have specific questions or something isn't working the way you expect.

If you have already downloaded and installed the 1Password extension in your browser(s) and it never offers you the option to save items or change them when you've changed a password, you might want to check the Browsers tab of 1Password's Preferences to see whether you have checked the box marked "Detect new usernames and passwords and offer to save them," as in this example:

• pbrielmann
    pbrielmann
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately I'm not very technically savvy. I can't seem to find my Browsers tab of 1Password's Preferences to if the box you mentioned is checked. Any suggestions? I have Safari El Capitan.

• pbrielmann
    pbrielmann
    Community Member
    Options

meant to say to check if the box you mentioned is checked. I'm trying to follow your instructions above but haven't been able to find my Browsers tab of 1Password Preferences.

• pbrielmann
    pbrielmann
    Community Member
    Options

When I click on Safari and then on Preferences, I don't see an icon for Browsers as you show above.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pbrielmann - apologies for the confusion. Those preferences are not Safari's, they are 1Password's Preferences. To access them, you need to have 1Password running and unlocked. Then, hold down the command (⌘) key and type a comma (so, ⌘, in all).

This discussion has been closed.