Hello, I'm trying to import our .CSV files into 1P but everything defaults to a Login type account.

Options
ainsley_d
ainsley_d
Community Member

Hello, I'm trying to import our .CSV files into 1P but everything defaults to a Login type account. How do I change the account type in the CSV so that it marks that information as a domain login, or email etc etc.

Thank you!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:CSV

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ainsley_d: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble! Indeed, 1Password has no way of knowing to treat things differently with generic CSV. You should check out @MrC ’s converter, as that can help you process the data into a native format that tells 1Password how things should be structured. Depending on where the data originated, there may already be a custom script for it, but it's also customizable. I hope this helps. Cheers! :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @ainsley_d ,

Can you tell me more about the content of your CSV file so that I might better guide you at getting it imported to your desired categories?

Also, which platform are you using?

• ainsley_d
    ainsley_d
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, we just have usernames and passwords in a simple MS DOS CSV created in Excel on Office 365 through Windows 10. We have been importing the two fields correctly but want to have them in the proper categories (domain logins, email logins etc).

Eventually we would like to have a single entry for everything but right now we’re setting up as a separate entry for each and want to set the category via our CSV

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@ainsley_d ,

So your CSV will have just the three fields:

Category, Username, Password

and that's it. All entries will have the same three fields?

• ainsley_d
    ainsley_d
    Community Member
    Options

Yes

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@ainsley_d ,

OK, great. So 1Password has only a single “Login” category, and these are typically Web logins. Can you tell me the mapping you want? For each of your category names, which 1Password category should they map to?

• ainsley_d
    ainsley_d
    Community Member
    Options

Do you have a list of categories?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@ainsley_d ,

Just look at the list presented when you create a new item in 1Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ainsley_d: If it helps (and it very well may), most of the categories are simply templates for organization, so you can use any of those for whatever you want based on your preferences. However, there are three item types which do have specific functions:

• Logins — filling login credentials into webpages
    • Credit Cards — filling payment details into webpages
    • Identities — filling personal information into webpages

So if you want that functionality for any of your items, choose the one that's appropriate. Otherwise, the various item templates are functionally the same (and all can be customized to some degree), with differences being only their default icons and preset fields. Cheers! :)

• ainsley_d
    ainsley_d
    Community Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hi @MrC

So the categories we want to use are Email for sure for our email accounts.

The others we are still deciding on the categories to use. Maybe you could give some advice on them.

We have a mix of entries. Some are single machines with multiple logins for each user and others are domain logins. Others would be multiple admin logins for servers, firewalls, routers etc. What categories would be best to use for each of those?

Also, random logins for services like Adobe, Dropbox etc.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2018
    Options

@ainsley_d ,

@brenty described the most important categories for purposes of using auto-fill in web pages. If your logins are not for this purpose, then you can just use Login categories without a URL - this provides you with a Username and Password field.

Alternatively, you can use the Servers category, which also happens to contain a pair of username, password, and URL trios - one for standard logins, the other for Admin. But these are just labels to the existing template - you are free to add additional Sections and Labels, or remove the ones you don't need.

The Login category's URL link can open a web page (and fill it), the Server's cannot do either. It sounds like you simply have username/password pairs. Which you use should be determined based on your needs, usage model, and that which makes most sense to you. If you wish to be able to open a router's web configuration page, then use Login and insert the web page's URL into the Login record.

However, note that 1Password only fills web form fields, not HTTP Auth dialogs opened in a separate window - these are provided by the OS, not the browser, and only web pages are subject to form field filling. A few older devices and web pages still uses this older method of obtaining the username / password credentials.

The Email Account category also has a pair of username/password fields: one for the POP or IMAP credentials, the other for the SMTP credentials. So with your simple pairing of username, password, you'll need to know which of these fields should receive the username/password pair - perhaps you need the username/password the same in both sets.

Since you only have Username and Password in your CSV, how do you know which machine is the host for each pair?

You also say "Eventually we would like to have a single entry for everything" - this seems to imply that you want to continue to build up and maintain your CSV, and routinely use it to (re-)populate 1Password data via some script.

The converter for which we've been referring works a certain way currently - it might be extended or customized, but so far there isn't enough information in your data set, or in your goal description to advise more specifically. The more I know precisely about what you are trying to do, the better advice I can give.

• ainsley_d
    ainsley_d
    Community Member
    Options

Basically it's a repository of password information for users, machines, servers and network devices so we can securely store them somewhere and have them accessible on our devices and laptops.

The all-in-one idea is just an idea for now, i just wanted to see if it's feasible.

So going back to my original question, can the category (email, server, login etc) be set in the CSV? Or will that have to be done through the converter?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@ainsley_d ,

1Password's CSV importer cannot use a category in the CSV to route records. Its best to have a look at:

https://support.1password.com/create-csv-files/

especially the Appendix: Item types section. Only 1 category / file, and you select the category when you manually peform the import. 1Password Mac supports 4 different categories in total, 1Password.com only Logins. Likewise 1Password 4 for Windows. 1Password 6 for Windows does not support importing from CSV (version 7 I believe will).

Since you are on Windows, you will want to use the converter suite to convert your data to 1PIF - this removes all 1Password's various platform-specific limitations. But your data format and target categories, available fields, desired field mappings are all necessary for me to understand how to advise/help your further.

• ainsley_d
    ainsley_d
    Community Member
    Options

Right now I am using the web interface to import my CSVs.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@ainsley_d ,

So you have already hit the limitation - Logins only, and the CSV format is as specified in the linked article I gave above (and the CSV importer refers to this link also). If you want different functionality, you must use the converter suite and one of the Desktop apps (which can be connected to your 1Password.com account, of course).

• ainsley_d
    ainsley_d
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, you said that version 7 may support CSV uploading? Will that have the same limitation though as the web platform?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2018
    Options

@ainsley_d ,

Nobody can say for certain except Agilebits. But if history tells anything, the CSV importer is likely not going to be enhanced, so I'd expect it to be no better than what 1Password for Mac has today.

CSV is too limited a file structure to generally, robustly, and easily do what can be done with more comprehensive formats such as JSON (which is what Agilebit's 1PIF is).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ainsley_d: Indeed, our focus is on 1PIF since that's lossless, supporting all of the data structures 1Password itself does. So with the CSV import we try to support common export data from a few specific apps (as you can see in the web interface). We don't currently have plans to redo CSV, but once you have the data converted to 1PIF it should import into any of the desktop apps nicely.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@brenty described the most important categories for purposes of using auto-fill in web pages. If your logins are not for this purpose, then you can just use Login categories without a URL - this provides you with a Username and Password field.

@MrC: Also, wow — thank you for making these points!

This discussion has been closed.