duplicate 1password icons in menu bar at top of iMac screen

Options
riverotterdc
riverotterdc
Community Member

I'm running macOS High Sierra (10.13.3) and 1Password 6.8.6. I now have two 1Password icons in the menu bar at the top of the iMac screen and I have to keep logging in if I happen to not click on the right one. It's a little irritating to say the least . . .

1Password Version: 6.8.6
Extension Version: Chrome 1.5.0
OS Version: 10.3.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@riverotterdc: It sounds like you've got at least one extra copy of 1Password hanging around then. Do a Spotlight search, drag all copies of 1Password to the Trash. Then restart your Mac. Finally, install a fresh copy of 1Password from where you purchased it.

Also, it looks like you've installed 1Password X, which works only with 1Password.com accounts, but you might not have a 1Password.com membership if you're using iCloud to sync a local vault. You probably want to remove that and install the 1Password app's browser extension instead:

https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• riverotterdc
    riverotterdc
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the quick response, brenty. I have a 1Password account, so maybe I misspoke about using iCloud. I do use iCloud, but I'm not sure if it's linked to 1Password. Does that change anything?

I've spent a LOT of time getting 1Password set up so I can use it on my iMac, MacBook Air, and iPhone so I'm really leery about removing anything. I'm reasonably tech-handy, but certainly not tech-savvy.

And how do I find out where I got the app/program/whatever if I'm going to reinstall it?

Boy, am I confused . . .

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the quick response, brenty. I have a 1Password account, so maybe I misspoke about using iCloud. I do use iCloud, but I'm not sure if it's linked to 1Password. Does that change anything?

@riverotterdc: Ah! If you're using a 1Password.com account, iCloud won't be involved. So we can ignore iCloud in that case.

I've spent a LOT of time getting 1Password set up so I can use it on my iMac, MacBook Air, and iPhone so I'm really leery about removing anything. I'm reasonably tech-handy, but certainly not tech-savvy.

I hear you. No problem second-guessing me on this. It's your data! Fortunately 1Password's data is stored separately from the app no matter what...and if you're using a 1Password.com account, you can actually throw your computer off a cliff (note: don't!) and get your data back on a new computer by signing in using your account credentials. So we're good there. ;)

And how do I find out where I got the app/program/whatever if I'm going to reinstall it? Boy, am I confused . . .

Sorry about that! The trouble is I have no way of knowing where you purchased it. However, if you have a 1Password.com membership, it actually doesn't matter, so thanks for telling me. In that case, you can install either, as your membership allows you to use any of the apps:

https://1password.com/downloads/

Let me know how it goes, and if you have any other questions! :)

• riverotterdc
    riverotterdc
    Community Member
    Options

OK . . . I found only one copy of 1Password when I do a Spotlight Search, and am unable to move it to the trash. Huh?

• riverotterdc
    riverotterdc
    Community Member
    Options

Whoops -- I find 1Password and 1Password 6 -- but I can't move either to the trash. They just sit there.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@riverotterdc - What that means is that you've downloaded (and been using) 1Password from both the Mac App Store AND from our own website. The two are similar enough that you may not have noticed the difference, but there IS a key difference due to Apple's sandboxing: each one stores its data in a different spot in the Library folder in your user account. That means: the two aren't (necessarily) using the same data. They could be in sync with one another, if you've been syncing your data using a 1password.com account or one of our advanced 3rd party sync methods (Dropbox, iCloud, WLAN), but they might be entirely separate datasets at this point.

To get a better idea of what might be where, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#YMA-15168-429]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @riverotterdc only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: YMA-15168-429

• riverotterdc
    riverotterdc
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Lars. I'm sending it now. Note that my initial question focused on my iMac install. Given your comment about the possibility of entirely different datasets, should I do the same for my MacBook Air? My iPhone?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018
    Options

@riverotterdc - I've received your email with the diagnostics report; let's keep the conversation going over there, if you don't mind. :)

ref: YMA-15168-429

• Hubert_Shaffer
    Hubert_Shaffer
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem with two icons in the menu bar. I have 1Password 6.8.7 (which is apparently from the Apple store) and 1Password when I do a Spotlight search. One is read only (I believe 1Password 6.8.7) and the other has read and write permission. Should I eliminate one or both apps? Should I reinstall one? Which one?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @Hubert_Shaffer! From your description, it sounds very much as if you have two copies of 1Password installed, one from our downloads page and the other from the Mac App Store. The real danger here is that, unless you're syncing the two instances via Dropbox or iCloud, they may have different data in them (they do not sync automatically with one another, because 1Password just isn't designed to have two copies of itself running on the same Mac. Only you can answer that question.

The other question is: where did you purchase from? It sounds as if you probably purchased a license for our version, because Read Only is something only the Mac App Store version of 1Password will display -- if you haven't purchased it. My guess is that you have a license for our (AgileBits) version of 1Password 6 for Mac, but you inadvertently downloaded the Mac App Store version as well. Presuming (and ONLY if) the Mac App Store version does not have data in it that you need and is not recorded in our version, you can just delete the Mac App Store version and carry on with our version. But before doing anything, can you tell me: what is the data like in each of these apps? Similar? Identical? Completely different? Does the Mac App Store version have data you need in it?

• Hubert_Shaffer
    Hubert_Shaffer
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem with two icons in the menu bar. I have 1Password 6.8.7 (which is apparently from the Apple store) and 1Password when I do a Spotlight search. One is read only (I believe 1Password 6.8.7) and the other has read and write permission. Should I eliminate one or both apps? Should I reinstall one? Which one?

The Apple store version seems to have identical files/passwords as the AgileBits one does. Deleting it would probably be of little consequence. (I am really impressed by your quick responsiveness.)

• Hubert_Shaffer
    Hubert_Shaffer
    Community Member
    Options

If I want to delete the 1Password app obtained from the Apple store, how would I distinguish it from the one I obtained elsewhere?

• Hubert_Shaffer
    Hubert_Shaffer
    Community Member
    Options

I figured it out...and removed the duplicate 1Password from the Apple store. Thanks for your help.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Hubert_Shaffer - The Mac App Store version of 1Password is called simply 1Password, while our version (which is the one you should keep) will be called 1Password 6. Our version always has a version number in the title. So, to remove the Mac App Store version, do this (in order):

1. Quit 1Password and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu) -- make sure there are no instances of the 1Password mini running in your Mac's menubar. If there still are after doing this, Option-click on it and choose "Quit 1Password mini"
    2. Delete 1Password (NOT 1Password 6) from your Mac. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to your Mac's Trash, then empty the trash.
    3. Restart your Mac.

Once you've restarted, you should be all set, with only one copy of the mini in your Mac's menubar, and you should have no problems from there. Let us know how it goes for you!

• Haldeane
    Haldeane
    Community Member
    Options

I have this issue, but only have 1Password 7 installed. Spotlight is not finding 2 installations. OS: 10.13.4

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

It is possible that the second copy is on an external drive that Spotlight is set not to index.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @Haldeane! If you don't mind posting details about your installation here, what does it say you have installed, and where? Open a Spotlight search and type in 1Password. Let it go for a minute, then scroll down and click "Show all in Finder" to open a window with the results. They should be grouped by type. Look under the Applications type and see what you discover.

This discussion has been closed.