master password not working.

Options
e3run
e3run
Community Member

I took pains to document the master password somewhere secure, in case I got locked out of this account, and I updated it, as I changed it today. Not working. I don't have it on another device. I really need the information that is in this app.

HELP!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @e3run! I'm sorry to hear you're having troubles with your Master Password. You've done the right thing by writing down your Master Password. You say you changed the Master Password today and now the new Master Password doesn't unlock 1Password? Can you give us some more detail about exactly what steps you took? You didn't include any information about whether this was on the web or in one of our apps that you made the change, and what you've done since then. Please let us know specifically how you went about changing the Master Password (though don't post either your old or new Master Password in this public forum).

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Does the old password work, by any chance? There are situations (though I only know of them when the user has several devices, which you don't) when a changed password needs some extra steps before it replaces the old one.

• e3run
    e3run
    Community Member
    Options

I tried EVERYTHING. I hate to think I am screwed. :(
    But my computer saves all my stuff too, so that is an option. If I can't recover this password, I will have to cancel 1password.

• e3run
    e3run
    Community Member
    Options

Lars, I just got a new iMac, and was setting 1password up in the extensions section of it. For some reason, I typed in a more secure password in that area. I was not logged in to the site.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@e3run - Now I'm a little confused. Initially, you said you don't have 1Password on another device, then in this reply you say you've got a new iMac. Did you have 1Password on a different device originally? Or is this new iMac that you just got the only device on which you've installed/used 1Password? Are you using 1Password as a standalone app with local data, or do you have a 1password.com account? If it's the latter, can you sign into your account in a web browser using your Master Password and Secret Key?

• e3run
    e3run
    Community Member
    Options

I've had it on my phone for years, and added it to the computer just the other day. On that day, I changed the master password,I got it written down as soon as I changed it, but it's not working. I can't get in because I don't have my master password correct.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@e3run: Keep in mind that since the Master Password is not stored, it cannot be sync'd. So you'll need to unlock with the "old" Master Password first so the data (which is encrypted using the Master Password) can be sync'd. After that, you should be able to unlock using the new one (since that can then be used to decrypt the data). I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• unclelori
    unclelori
    Community Member
    Options

I have a question that might be related. I have a 1Password.com account and the MacOS and iOS apps. I recently changed my master password, but that only works on the 1Password.com account and is not reflected in the MacOS app.

I used to change the password in Preferences > Security, but the button to change the master password is no longer there. How do I change the master password on the app now? I am using 1Password 6 Version 6.8.7 (687006).

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@unclelori: It sounds like you may have a Primary (local) vault setup in 1Password, or another 1Password.com account. Is that the case? Can you tell me where exactly you went to change the Master Password? Thanks in advance! :)

• unclelori
    unclelori
    Community Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

@brenty: I've had the app on my MBP for quite a while (it's on my MBP where I want to change the password), and I subscribed late last year to a 1Password.com account. So I have a Primary vault on my MBP, but it's the Personal vault that I use to keep everything synched. I think it might be this Primary vault that is causing my problems. Can I get rid of it?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@unclelori: Do you have all of your data in your 1Password.com account? Please double check this by signing into your account:

https://start.1password.com/vaults/all

If so, then yes, I'd recommend removing the Primary vault, and it's safe to do so in that case. You can do this in 1Password for Mac by disabling local vaults in Preferences > Advanced.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.