Feature request using "words" to generate passwords

Options
denbarth
denbarth
Community Member

I use the "words" method when I know I'll likely be manually entering the password - especially using a mobile device. Too often, the site requires a capital letter, a number, and a special character. The dash takes care of the special character. But I have to manually edit the generated password to add a capital letter and number. Not a big deal, but if there was a way to add those characters to a "words" generated password, that would be sweet. My current pattern is to capitalize the second word and add the same number to the end of the fourth word. that way I can just remember the words and fill in easily.

1Password Version: 6.8.7
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: OS 10.13.3
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@denbarth - thanks for the suggestion. :) We're always looking for ways to increase the flexibility of 1Password's password generator without adding too much additional complexity. I don't know whether this particular request will be incorporated into 1Password, given its rather niche placement (those who want varied case and letters/symbols usually use the random generator, those who want pronounceable words use the wordlist generator), but I will certainly mention it to our developers. Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts about what you'd like to see for the future of 1Password. Cheers! :)

• joaocoutinho
    joaocoutinho
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars I also have the same need as @denbarth.
    I believe words are more secure as random passwords, that's why I use them in 1Password, but most of the time, for request of the websites I need to add 2018PT to fulfill the password requirements. I really hope the developers can find this a valid suggestion and can add some extra parametrization to the word passwords.

Best regards,
    Joao Coutinho

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @joaocoutinho, and thanks for weighing in on this thread. We're always weighing how we can best offer the password generator -- we want it to strike a perfect balance between feature-rich and feature-laden, but that's a moving target. We are certainly aware of some of our users wishes on this subject; what I can't promise is that you'll see anything directly addressing it. But in either case, we are very glad you decided to join us to make your wishes on the subject known. 😊

• denbarth
    denbarth
    Community Member
    Options

In general I use long, randomly generated passwords. My challenge is manually entering long randomly generated passwords on an iOS device such as a small iPhone. Between having big stubby fingers and having to switch screens twice to get to some special characters, I can end up typing passwords several times to get them right. Since most password fields use the (IMO) "too rapidly disappearing" character feature, I sometimes miss that I mistyped a character. I can't look back over what I've typed for errors - just see dots. If everyone included a feature to reveal the password as 1Password does, life would be so much better... 1Password is such a thoughtful and helpful system. May your tribe increase...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the kind words, @denbarth -- we try to make our users lives as comfortable as possible, and that means letting 1Password get out of your way when you don't want it and offer you just what you need when you do want it. Not always an easy line to walk, especially since some users want different things than others, but we definitely do try. :)

• joaocoutinho
    joaocoutinho
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars We will wait :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

;) :+1:

• Jo_ann77
    Jo_ann77
    Community Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

I was watching a vid on YT where Edward snowdon explained (and other people on Tedx) a few things about passwords and his advice on what and what not to use for passwords.
    Very good in imho, but than again I'm just a novice and have no knowledge what so ever so it's more a gut feeling that makes sense, but when he say's that there is software out there that is capable of cracking pincodes within a second or so makes one get very nervous at least me so getting to know what is a strong password is very very important.
    For that reason alone I'm always when possible make it the longest password possible that the website is capable of.
    Just my 2 cents and by no means any comment on the amazing work you people are doing.
    I am just switching from Enpass to 1PW and will make the yearly payment at the end of the trail period I love it.
    Keep up the good work.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Jo_ann77: Yeah PIN codes are pretty terrible because they're usually very short and also of course only use digits and nothing else — not great entropy per character even with a long one. But by the same token, when using passwords composed of letters, numbers, and symbols, even 20 characters is more than sufficient...but there's absolutely no harm in pushing the limit either if the website lets you use more. Thanks so much for the kind words, and for giving 1Password a try in the first place. Glad you're enjoying it, and we're excited to keep making it even better. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.