What is going on here? [The 1Password extension on iOS does not sync; launch the main app to sync]

Options
Rapp
Rapp
Community Member
edited February 2018 in Mac

I did a password for my Things Cloud account on my Apple MacBook Pro Retina. I then used my Apple 6 iPhone to synch. I used the little key thing to go to 1Password, but it didn't show a "Things Cloud" which was what I had saved the password to. Yet, if I opened 1Password in the phone, it was there. What is going on?

1Password Version: lastest
Extension Version: latest
OS Version: OS X 10.13.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• @Rapp,

As you saw the main application must be launched in order to Sync your data. This is why it did not show up when you tried to use 1Password's extension in another app, it didn't yet have your "Things Cloud" item that you created on your Mac.

Rudy

• Rapp
    Rapp
    Community Member
    Options

I'm sorry - perhaps it's the stroke I had but I don't understand you. What do I have to do?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Rapp -- it doesn't sound like you need to do anything for this particular situation. What rudy was saying is that for the future, when you create something new in 1Password on one device, you need to actually open the main 1Password app on other devices in order for that change/addition/deletion to be synced. If you just go to another device and call the extension and try to fill, it won't be there yet because you haven't opened the main app to allow a sync yet. Is that clearer?

• Rapp
    Rapp
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, it is, but I don't think you folks understood the problem. I DID open 1Password on my iPhone and the password WAS there. It wasn't there when I used the little key thing in Things. I tried this multiple times.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Rapp: I think you're talking about Apple's "key". 1Password doesn't use a key icon anymore (hasn't since v4 in 2012). As far as I can tell, Things is not one of the many apps that support the 1Password iOS extension. While we offer a 1Password extension for iOS, it isn't something we can build into other apps ourselves. Their developers will need to add support for it. Otherwise it is necessary to copy and paste. 1Password uses the icon shown here:

If you're seeing something else, that isn't 1Password. We have a website devoted to the 1Password extension for developers, so be sure to let them know you'd like them to add support for it and point them in our direction. We're always happy to help them with that. Cheers! :)

• Rapp
    Rapp
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, thanks. Then I think you have to memorize it somehow. How do I do that?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Rapp - Not quite sure what you think you have to memorize; if you mean your password for Things (or any other site), you shouldn't have to do that because you can still copy and paste from the main 1Password for iOS application into any other location you wish on your iOS device.

• Rapp
    Rapp
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I mean my password for Things Cloud. I know how to copy the password from 1Password, but how do I paste it in Things (in IOS)?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Rapp - tap into the field you want to paste into (make it the active item), then tap again, which should bring up the options menu. "Paste" should be one of your options (assuming you've already copied the item).

• Rapp
    Rapp
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Rapp - you're quite welcome; glad I was able to assist. Have a great weekend!

This discussion has been closed.