Will a subscription account enable me to access my passwords from any internet connected device?

Options
roger2608
roger2608
Community Member

I currently use a local copy of 1Password on my Apple devices. If I migrate to a subscription service will I be able to access my passwords from any device connected to the internet i.e. without installing software. I will be travelling with only my iPhone over the coming months and if I lose it I would like to be able to access my passwords from any PC/tablet as a contingency.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:will a subscription account allow me to log in from any internet connected device

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @roger2608! Excellent question. And yes, you can access your 1password.com account from any internet-connected device running a modern browser (Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Edge). You would need your Master Password as well as your Secret Key (plus the email address you registered under and the sign-in address), but you can use (nearly) any computer in the world.

Having said that, we recommend people not use unknown computers to access sensitive personal data, except when absolutely necessary. If you don't know a computer, it could have keyloggers, malware, all sorts of spyware -- things 1Password can neither predict nor protect you from. Usually, of course, you'll be fine...but I wouldn't want to trust that a given unknown computer is safe unless I absolutely needed to. However, that's exactly what you're describing, so I'd say the answer is yes. :) Head over to the main 1Password sign-up page and create yourself a 30-day free trial account. You can test it out for yourself, and ask any questions you might have. Cheers!

• roger2608
    roger2608
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars - Thanks for the prompt and helpful response.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2018
    Options

@roger2608 - you're quite welcome! Glad I could assist. :)

ref: PNI-17897-989

• cinthia
    cinthia
    Community Member
    Options

If I switch to 1Password subscription from my standalone version, will I be able to access my passwords without being connected to the Internet?

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@roger2608 Note that you would need your secret key as well as your master password. You should be able to remember your master password. However, very few people would be able to remember their secret key. You just have to keep it written down somewhere, which isn't much of a risk sincemost people wouldn't know what it was and anyway would need your master password as well.

@cinthia Yes, your computer keeps a local copy of your passwords and that's what 1PW looks at.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cinthia - @danco is quite right -- there is a local cache of your data on any device where you've signed into your account within a 1Password app. What won't happen if you're not connected to the internet is that any changes/additions/deletions you make to your data will not be synced to your account (and thus not synced to other instances of 1Password where you're signed into your account) until such time as you re-connect to the internet.

This discussion has been closed.