Changed master password on website. MAC extension for 1pass only wants old password

Options
sba070904
sba070904
Community Member

I have tried to uninstall and reinstall the extension but it still wants the old password and the old password works. The new password does not. I turned computer off and on and still no luck.

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.8.6 (686003) Mac App Store
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: OS 10.13.2
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:mac extension password

Comments

• sba070904
    sba070904
    Community Member
    Options

Since writing this question I have updated 1password to current version, and OS. Uninstalled and reinstalled and still having the same problem. Hope someone from Agilebits can help me.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sba070904: If you're syncing with iCloud, changing your Master Password for a 1Password.com account won't change what you use to unlock the app. In that case, the Master Password you set for the Primary (local) vault will be required. 1Password uses the Master Password for the first vault/account you setup in it to unlock. Is there a reason you're still using iCloud to sync a local vault if you have a 1Password.com membership?

• sba070904
    sba070904
    Community Member
    Options

Don't I need iCloud syncing to enable iOS devices to sync with OS computers?

• sba070904
    sba070904
    Community Member
    Options

Oh and thank you for the clarification. I changed the local password to match the .com password. Maybe I am not using 1password correctly.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Don't I need iCloud syncing to enable iOS devices to sync with OS computers?

@sba070904: Nope! Not if you use another sync method, or have a 1Password.com membership. :)

Oh and thank you for the clarification. I changed the local password to match the .com password. Maybe I am not using 1password correctly.

Sure thing! However, you mentioned "Changed master password on website", and I took that to mean you have a 1Password.com membership. Please let me know if that's not the case though.

But if you do, just to clarify, sync is built into 1Password.com: you literally just sign into your account on each device to access any data stored in your account. If you sign into 1Password.com in your web browser, do you see all of your data there? If so, you don't even need the Primary vault, and getting rid of it will simplify your setup and help avoid confusion in the future. Let me know!

• sba070904
    sba070904
    Community Member
    Options

I can sign on to 1password. I checked billing and it says I have a subscription through apple, but I do not see my logins online. The only one I see if for 1password. Thank you for your help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sba070904: If you didn't ever move your data to the account, then it won't be accessible through 1Password.com, even if you're paying for a subscription. You'll need to follow this guide and do that first:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Ben
    Options

Just to add to what brenty said... Please pay special attention to the very last instruction:

To remove your old Primary vault, tap Settings > Vaults > Primary. Then tap Delete Vault.

Once your data has been migrated successfully (you can view it all on 1Password.com) please be sure to do that, otherwise 1Password will continue to unlock with the old Master Password. :)

Ben

• sba070904
    sba070904
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there. I have been trying to accomplish this task and I am failing. When I log in to 1password on my mac I see a vault with only the 1password login data. My vault on my mac and my phone apps are not the same, I fear. I don't know how to get 1password.com to load my info from my apps so I can eliminate the app data. Is it ever possible to chat with one the team members? thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sba070904

Is it ever possible to chat with one the team members?

It's not. We don't offer telephone support for 1Password, but we're happy to continue helping you right here on the forum. :)

Or, if you prefer, you can write in to us at support+forum@agilebits.com -- this will allow you to reach us via email, so we can talk in more detail about the specifics of your 1Password setup that shouldn't be posted on this public forum.

If you look in Preferences > All Vaults, what do you see? Is there still a vault there called Primary? If so, you'll need to remove that using the method brenty linked to above.

This discussion has been closed.