1Password offers a free trial when one isn't available

razord
razord
Community Member
edited February 2018 in iOS

As part of testing, I cancelled my subscription back in December and my account locked this morning.

When I went to resubscribe, I clicked on the "Monthly Subscription" option on the app store page, and it took me to the 1Password subscription pane in the app which said I was eligible for a free trial.

I wasn't though - and when I picked monthly and paid, the money was taken immediately despite your text which says otherwise. Obviously this is against the various EU and UK consumer protection laws, so wanted to flag it up as a pretty urgent bug.

(Also obviously, I was expecting to pay, so this isn't a personal issue at all, and this was on the App Store client because I can't subscribe in the TestFlight build due to the subscription verification errors from the sandbox)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2018

@razord: Thanks for getting in touch. I'm not sure this is a "bug", or what you mean about "this is against the various EU and UK consumer protection laws" since you'd already gotten your free trial (you mentioned yourself that you'd canceled your subscription, which only would have started following that). However, I do agree that there's room for improvement here. Just to clarify, it sounds like you're running the stable version of 1Password for iOS. Correct? In that case, I'll move this discussion out of the beta category. I'm not certain if there's a way we can work around this issue, as Apple's subscription options are pretty limited, but we'll see what we can do. Thanks for bringing this up! :)

ref: OPI-4433

• razord
    razord
    Community Member
    edited February 2018

Yeh, but if I click subscribe - you can't then show me a button that says "Try free for 30 days" and then not give a trial for 30 days...

Apple's documentation suggestions this is something you can detect: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/storekit/in_app_purchase/offering_introductory_prices_in_your_app

So, you should be detecting I've used my free trial and update the text accordingly. I think it's realistic to say that many users might well expect to be able to get a second free trial - especially if they come back to 1password after some months away - and the current text makes it look like this is possible.

And yeh - you can move this out of beta if you like, but it is a bug in the TestFlight build as the button still says "Try free for 30 days", and I figured I'd log it against that, as I'll be able to help test the fix once available in the TestFlight builds :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yeh, but if I click subscribe - you can't then show me a button that says "Try free for 30 days" and then not give a trial for 30 days...

@razord: I get what you're saying, but we did give you 30 days. You just used it up already. :blush:

I'm hoping you're right, as that would be ideal. I just don't want to promise anything if that turns out to not be the case, or if it doesn't work "as advertised" for whatever reason.

So, you should be detecting I've used my free trial and update the text accordingly. I think it's realistic to say that many users might well expect to be able to get a second free trial - especially if they come back to 1password after some months away - and the current text makes it look like this is possible.

Yep! As I mentioned, I agree that if we can, we should; and, failing that, we should make it clear in the text below that you only get one 30 day trial.

And yeh - you can move this out of beta if you like, but it is a bug in the TestFlight build as the button still says "Try free for 30 days", and I figured I'd log it against that, as I'll be able to help test the fix once available in the TestFlight builds :)

Aye. Thank you! I just want to file this as an issue with the stable version since it isn't a regression in the beta or anything. I appreciate you! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.