Stop auto linking?

tim_stclair
tim_stclair
Community Member

All the fields in the app seem to detect and add links to anything that looks like it might be a web address. But most of my entires are things like IP addresses or ssh logins - which are in the format ssh myuser@1.2.3.4:21098 and the autolinking only links to the "1.2.3.4" which us a) useless since it's not a web address, and b) doesn't automatically launch in terminal or sql manager terminal, where I want to use them. 80% of my passwords are for terminal-based connections. Sometimes I'm just trying to copy the text so I can paste into a terminal window and suddenly a browser pops up because it thinks I want to open a link. Very frustrating.

The Edit > Substitutions > Smart Links is NOT ticked.

Can I switch off all auto-linking somehow?

1Password Version: 6.8.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@tim_stclair - I'm not sure what you mean by "autolinking." There are a few ways to use 1Password -- you can manually copy/paste from items (which is certainly method that requires the most activity from the user), or you can choose to automate the process by double-clicking from within 1Password itself, which is called "Go & Fill* -- 1Password will open your preferred browser, visit the URL saved in the login item (website 1, if you have more than one saved), and attempt to fill the data.

In short, this isn't malfunctioning, it's working as intended. Since we don't yet have the ability to paste into or otherwise interact with other native applications on your Mac, the browser remains the one place we can paste your data -- so that's what our Go & Fill is set up to do. If you need to use 1Password data in other applications, I'm afraid for now you'll need to use copy/paste -- and remember to not attempt using Go & Fill.

• tim_stclair
    tim_stclair
    Community Member

Yes, obviously this is the "website" field, but anywhere it finds somethign that it thinks is a link, it turns it blue and makes it clickable. In notes fields, username fields, and so on. Also, due to a bad import because the csv headers didn't align properly, the website here has the wrong data, and so if I click that there's not even a basic check to test if it is an url. I get browser up with an error on it. I guess it's feasible I could put a malicious script into that field and have it blindly execute. But that would be silly.

The "fill and go" feature only works with web browsers, which I don't use. I do often try to use the copy and paste method, as it is my primary means, however anything that looks like a url is automatically hilighted as a link _and as such automatically opens a web browser if you happen to click incorrectly whilst trying to _select that text. The setting under the Edit > Substutions > Smark Links, which is supposedly for this scenario is NOT ticked, indicating that either it does not work or that something else is performing the linking - I do not have any services or scripts installed that do this. If fill feature worked with other software than just browsers that would be ideal. Otherwise it's a feature I'd like to see turned off by default.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yes, obviously this is the "website" field, but anywhere it finds somethign that it thinks is a link, it turns it blue and makes it clickable. In notes fields, username fields, and so on.

@tim_stclair: Can you give me a full example — text I could use to create an item myself to test this? I have plenty of URLs even in items of all kinds in Notes fields, and the only thing that's ever a "link" for me is the "website" field(s).

Also, due to a bad import because the csv headers didn't align properly, the website here has the wrong data, and so if I click that there's not even a basic check to test if it is an url. I get browser up with an error on it. I guess it's feasible I could put a malicious script into that field and have it blindly execute. But that would be silly.

1Password doesn't execute scripts, but that's definitely a reasonable concern. I think the import may be the key. Are you only having trouble with this import data, or are you able to reproduce this by creating a brand new item in 1Password?

The "fill and go" feature only works with web browsers, which I don't use.

Wait, you don't use web browsers? Or did you mean something else?

I do often try to use the copy and paste method, as it is my primary means,

Keep in mind that using the 1Password extension in the browser is more secure than copy and paste since it bypasses the clipboard, which any app can access.

however anything that looks like a url is automatically hilighted as a link _and as such automatically opens a web browser if you happen to click incorrectly whilst trying to _select that text.

There should be a dropdown menu to the right to copy. Are you not seeing that? Anything you put in the "website" field should be treated as a URL though.

The setting under the Edit > Substutions > Smark Links, which is supposedly for this scenario is NOT ticked, indicating that either it does not work or that something else is performing the linking - I do not have any services or scripts installed that do this. If fill feature worked with other software than just browsers that would be ideal. Otherwise it's a feature I'd like to see turned off by default.

Yeah, I'm not seeing where this is "on". I don't think Smart Links even applies to Secure Input fields. Enabling it here has no effect on my 1Password data that I can see. What other settings have you been changing? ;)

• tim_stclair
    tim_stclair
    Community Member

I have been using 1P almost exlusively to store passwords that I use in ssh/lish sessions, rdp connections and sql connections. I often have to have these on hand when at my computer or out and about via my phone or remote devices with 1P and my key. I'm mostly either copying them in to a field or logon in a terminal or so on: I don't use 1P to store browser based passwords (all the critical ones are stored in my brain, non-critical passwords are stored using the browsers password managers).

Often I'll have to use the Notes field or similar taxonomy fields to store multiple passwords or addresses associated with a primary account. I have to select-drag-right-click-copy many of these from such fields (these fields don't have a copy dropdown, which is ideal). The main issue I'm having is that many of these details are automatically linked and automatically open browsers. This is what I'd like to turn off.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I have been using 1P almost exlusively to store passwords that I use in ssh/lish sessions, rdp connections and sql connections. I often have to have these on hand when at my computer or out and about via my phone or remote devices with 1P and my key.

@tim_stclair: I can see how 1Password would be useful for that, but...

I'm mostly either copying them in to a field or logon in a terminal or so on: I don't use 1P to store browser based passwords (all the critical ones are stored in my brain, non-critical passwords are stored using the browsers password managers).

This I don't get at all, as you don't need to pay for 1Password if you're just going to use the (insecure) password manager built into the browser...or your brain. I don't even know where to begin, but suffice to say that 1Password can generate, save, and enter unique, strong passwords for each site the likes of which humans have no hope of doing. I'd encourage you to reconsider this strategy, not only for security but also for your own sanity. You don't have to live like this! There's an app for that. Let me know if you have any questions about its features!

Often I'll have to use the Notes field or similar taxonomy fields to store multiple passwords or addresses associated with a primary account. I have to select-drag-right-click-copy many of these from such fields (these fields don't have a copy dropdown, which is ideal). The main issue I'm having is that many of these details are automatically linked and automatically open browsers. This is what I'd like to turn off.

I'm still not sure how you've managed that, as I can't. But suffice to say that regardless this isn't a use case we design for. The vast majority of our customers use 1Password as a password manager in the sense that each individual set of login credentials are stored in their own Login item. I'm sorry I don't have better news for the particular use case you've settled on, but we really need to design for how most people use 1Password: as a secure alternative to creating, memorizing, and typing passwords, or using less secure options to do so. But again, if you need help using any of the functions 1Password offers, I'm happy to assist. :)

This discussion has been closed.