Syncing OPVault via Dropbox

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Request for OpVault on Android.

Comments

• bruinbits
    bruinbits
    Community Member
    Options

I came here via Google because I've moved to OPVault (via Dropbox as a sharing mechanism) and my Android devices don't sync anymore... my primary usage is via macOS and iOS so Android is just a backup... I vaguely recall OPVault was officially not supported at first (months ago)... but maybe it is now? Is there a way to get my data to sync to Android without upgrading my entire infrastructure (e.g. "touch no other devices... just do something on the Android itself")?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bruinbits: Thanks for reaching out. I hope you don't mind, but I've split you off into a separate discussion since your question doesn't have anything to do with the other one. 1Password for Android has officially supported syncing an OPVault via Dropbox for about two years now, but you'll need to ensure that everything is configured correctly. Please follow this guide to narrow down the problem and — hopefully — get Dropbox back to syncing your data:

If you’re having trouble syncing with Dropbox

You should only have to make changes on your other devices if they aren't configured correctly to sync to Dropbox in the first place. Definitely check to be sure, and let me know what you find! :)

• bruinbits
    bruinbits
    Community Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

Sure, happy to have a new thread... sorry I thought I was properly adding to the existing conversation or I'd have started a fresh one myself! :)

Anyway that document doesn't seem to cover my use case. I see that all the Android instructions are "uninstall, reinstall, then sign into your 1Password account"... only I'm not using a 1P account, I've got normal old school licenses...

What next?

Edit

FYI I can't figure out how to get strikethrough text for my edit or I'd have done that to some existing info here...

I uninstalled and reinstalled Android. During the install I was asked if I wanted to sign in to 1Password Account, but below that was the ability to look for existing vaults in existing sync services. I went to Dropbox and it defaulted to the old agilekeychain, so I had to say "no" and go find my own vault to instead have the OPvault... did that, now things seem to work, with the exception that I can't figure out how to get my shared vaults syncing now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sure, happy to have a new thread... sorry I thought I was properly adding to the existing conversation or I'd have started a fresh one myself! :)

@bruinbits: No worries! Just don't want folks getting a bunch of notifications for a conversation that's going to be specific to your issue. :) :+1:

Anyway that document doesn't seem to cover my use case. I see that all the Android instructions are "uninstall, reinstall, then sign into your 1Password account"... only I'm not using a 1P account, I've got normal old school licenses... What next?

I'm a bit confused, as that article does not mention signing into a 1Password.com account; it deals exclusively with Dropbox. If you have any more trouble, jus tell me the exact step where you're getting stuck.

Edit
    FYI I can't figure out how to get strikethrough text for my edit or I'd have done that to some existing info here...

Standard HTML generally works, like <strike>.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Android. During the install I was asked if I wanted to sign in to 1Password Account, but below that was the ability to look for existing vaults in existing sync services. I went to Dropbox and it defaulted to the old agilekeychain, so I had to say "no" and go find my own vault to instead have the OPvault...

Ah yep, that sounds right. Indeed, it sounds like you still had 1Password for Android setup to sync with the old vault, so that's just what you needed to do: set it up with the new one. Anyway, it sounds like you should be all set there, but...

did that, now things seem to work, with the exception that I can't figure out how to get my shared vaults syncing now.

If you're trying to setup additional local vaults in 1Password for Android, then we're back to the original topic: that isn't possible. But if you're referring to something else, let me know and I'll be happy to assist!

• bruinbits
    bruinbits
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, I have a setup with multiple vaults. I am the owner and exclusive user of my OPVault. I have a number of agilekeychains that are shared, via dropbox, with other folks (and for those other folks their primary vault is this same shared vault - these are nontechnical people). Given my rather strict set of requirements it seems that the only advantage of a new subscription to Teams or Family would be simpler onetime setup for syncing yet I have significant disadvantages of increased price and a slightly tweaked workflow that I don't quite want (I guess I could setup a Family then have all other folks be Guests... but they can only access a single vault at a time and I have a more complex cross-sharing setup where some people have access to vaults essentially shared across a few different "guests").

Anyway, thanks for the help here. I'm all good now!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yeah, I have a setup with multiple vaults. I am the owner and exclusive user of my OPVault. I have a number of agilekeychains that are shared, via dropbox, with other folks (and for those other folks their primary vault is this same shared vault - these are nontechnical people). Given my rather strict set of requirements it seems that the only advantage of a new subscription to Teams or Family would be simpler onetime setup for syncing

@bruinbits: Hmm. I'd have to understand your requirements better to say one way or the other. Vaults are much easier to work with in a 1Password.com membership though, especially with regard to sharing. That alone has made a big difference for me, coming from Dropbox myself. it was definitely not a one time setup. It seemed like somebody was getting a new device to setup pretty regularly, even if it wasn't always me. :lol:

yet I have significant disadvantages of increased price and a slightly tweaked workflow that I don't quite want (I guess I could setup a Family then have all other folks be Guests... but they can only access a single vault at a time and I have a more complex cross-sharing setup where some people have access to vaults essentially shared across a few different "guests").

You can totally do that. ;)

Anyway, thanks for the help here. I'm all good now!

Sure thing! We're here if you have any other questions though. :)

• bruinbits
    bruinbits
    Community Member
    Options

I'm bumping up against this issue again now as some of my machines have moved to macOS Mojave and I believe I'm being forced to upgrade the local 1P app. Whether or not I'm being forced, I would rather get up to the modern version of the platform if I could.

To re-ask the basic question (I don't recall if it is handled cleanly in the scroll back of this thread): I'm PersonA and I have my primary Vault1 that is only for me. I invite PersonB into my family and I believe by default they have their own primary Vault2, which I cannot access. I then create Vault3 and share it with PersonB (now we both have access to Vault3). How do I configure PersonB so that they only use Vault3? Said another way, I want to disable Vault2. This is for less technical people who routinely need a lot of help with data curation (making sure passwords are stored right), remote logins (I get on the phone and login to something from my computer), and other similar things. As the family admin I need to make sure other members can't accidentally put data in a place that is inaccessible to me. Perhaps that's a "kids" feature?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2018
    Options

I'm bumping up against this issue again now as some of my machines have moved to macOS Mojave and I believe I'm being forced to upgrade the local 1P app. Whether or not I'm being forced, I would rather get up to the modern version of the platform if I could.

@bruinbits: Can you elaborate? What are you trying to do, and is there something you're having difficulty with?

To re-ask the basic question (I don't recall if it is handled cleanly in the scroll back of this thread): I'm PersonA and I have my primary Vault1 that is only for me.

"Private" vault. Not trying to be pedantic: the "Primary" vault would be a local vault stored only on the device, not part of a 1Password.com account.

I invite PersonB into my family and I believe by default they have their own primary Vault2, which I cannot access. I then create Vault3 and share it with PersonB (now we both have access to Vault3). How do I configure PersonB so that they only use Vault3?

If you mean prevent them from accessing their own Private vault, you cannot. If you invited them as a family member, they'll have that and you can't see or touch it. But if you invite them as a guest instead, they will have access to only a single vault you share with them -- like "Vault3".

Said another way, I want to disable Vault2. This is for less technical people who routinely need a lot of help with data curation (making sure passwords are stored right), remote logins (I get on the phone and login to something from my computer), and other similar things. As the family admin I need to make sure other members can't accidentally put data in a place that is inaccessible to me. Perhaps that's a "kids" feature?

Yeah, you definitely want to use the "guest" option when inviting. That will get you the result you describe. A lot of folks use that for kids or less technical family members. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• bruinbits
    bruinbits
    Community Member
    Options

Sure, so "guest" is my current best answer! Can guests have access to multiple vaults (specifically: other guest vaults)? This would allow hierarchical access between two guests. Using new mock names (so as not to confused my mock vaults with previous comments):

VaultA = Me (my own vault, sync'd to cloud but only I have access)
    VaultB = Mom (a Guest user)
    VaultC = Uncle & Mom (both are guest users)

This would allow me to remain a full admin for everything. It would allow Mom to have her own personal stuff but then also have access to Uncle's data.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Can guests have access to multiple vaults (specifically: other guest vaults)?

No. Only a single vault. You could change it to another later...but that might be a mean trick to play on someone. :)

And just to clarify, there is no such thing as a "guest vault"; any user-created vault (i.e. not someone's Personal vault) can be shared with a guest -- but only one.

This would allow hierarchical access between two guests.

I'm not sure what you mean by "hierarchical". Vaults cannot be inside other vaults. You can, however, share the same vault with multiple guests and/or family members. The only limitation is that a guest can only have access to a single vault.

This would allow me to remain a full admin for everything. It would allow Mom to have her own personal stuff but then also have access to Uncle's data.

I think I see what you're getting at. Maybe it would be better to just have your aunt and uncle share a single vault, perhaps both as guests, provided they are both okay with sharing everything between them.

This discussion has been closed.