"No progress controller exists for 1Password.app", and app keeps quitting/relaunching infinitely

bkendig
bkendig
Community Member
edited March 2018 in Mac

1Password works fine for me on my MacBook and some iOS devices, but on my iMac it doesn't. Here's what happens:

• I start by deleting 1Password and installing a fresh copy of it (6.8.7) from the Mac App Store
  • I launch it and it dumps dozens of copies of the same error message to the console log:

storeuid UIServiceInterface: Error: No progress controller exists for /Applications/1Password.app

• It then brings up an App Store dialog. "Sign in to use this application on this computer" - "1Password was purchased using the App Store on another computer. To use 1Password on this computer, sign in using the Apple ID and password used to purchase it."

• I sign in with my Apple ID
  • 1Password begins to launch then immediately quit then launch then immediately quit over and over again (I see the icon keep appearing/disappearing in the Dock), dumping dozens of copies of the above error message to the console log each time
  • I can only stop it by moving 1Password out of the Applications folder so the OS can't find it, or by rebooting (or presumably by logging out)

What's going on and how do I fix it?

1Password Version: 6.8.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@bkendig - I'm not sure right off the top of my head what's specifically causing that, but the first place to start is definitely to restart your Mac and try it again. This sounds like something's not getting properly registered with macOS itself. Try that, and let us know how you get on.

• bkendig
    bkendig
    Community Member

I've rebooted often through trying to troubleshoot this, unfortunately; no success yet!

• Hi @bkendig

Could you please see if this happens with a download of 1Password from our site?

How to switch to the version of 1Password from the AgileBits website

Please let us know.

Ben

• bkendig
    bkendig
    Community Member

That ... worked, surprisingly! No, I mean better than there were no errors; this completely circumvents the problem because the download from the AgileBits site is free and gives me access to the vault in my Dropbox folder. So, using the copy from the AgileBits store is an acceptable workaround for me.

Thank you very much!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@bkendig - Glad to hear you're back up and running; that's the most important thing. However, it doesn't answer why you were having such difficulties - ones that we've not seen previously - with 1Password for Mac from the Mac App Store. But if you're happy, we're happy. You might want to keep any eye on other Mac App Store applications, just to be sure that unresolved issue isn't indicative of something else on your Mac. Let us know if you have any further issues!

This discussion has been closed.