To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

I've used one password for several years and now I am read only. what is going on?

mikemckinley
mikemckinley
Community Member

?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I've used one password for several years and now I am read only. what is going on?

Comments

• mikemckinley
    mikemckinley
    Community Member

version 6.87
    mac os 10.13.3

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mikemckinley: If you're seeing "read only", you either haven't purchased 1Password for Mac at all, purchased a license for an old version (which won't work with the current one), or you purchased it from the AgileBits Store yet are using the Mac App Store version. Can you tell me which is the case?

• mikemckinley
    mikemckinley
    Community Member
    edited March 2018

Here is a copy from my email files:

If you have any troubles viewing this email, you can view it here

Your AgileBits Licenses
    Below are all your licenses purchased from the AgileBits Store.

[redacted by AgileBits, this is a public forum]

• mikemckinley
    mikemckinley
    Community Member

6.87 is my current version

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mikemckinley - I removed your actual license information; this is a public forum and private details like that should never be shared here; I hope that's OK.

With 1Password open on your Mac, if you look up at the top left corner of your screen, does it say "1Password 6" or just "1Password?" If it's the latter, then you've downloaded 1Password from the Mac App Store without purchasing it there, which is why you're in Read Only mode.

The license you referenced is from all the way back in 2009 (nine years ago!), far too old to be used for the current version of 1Password (version 6.8.7 for Mac). In order to use the current version of 1Password for Mac, you'll need to have either a current license, or a 1password.com account.

• mikemckinley
    mikemckinley
    Community Member

I have 1Password. So do I need to purchase a brand new account?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018

@mikemckinley -- if your version of 1Password says only "1Password" when running, then you've downloaded it from the Mac App Store. That explains why you're in Read Only mode: because you've never purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store. Since you have existing standalone licenses for 1Password, that means in the past, you've probably downloaded and installed 1Password from our own website.

You'll need to switch over to our version by doing the following:

1. Quit 1Password and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu)
    2. Uninstall the Mac App Store version of 1Password. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to your Mac's Trash, then empty the Trash.
    3. Visit our downloads page and download a copy of the most-current 1Password for Mac app (6.8.7) and install it.

When you launch 1Password, your data should be available to you. However, if you do not have a current license that is valid for version 6, you'll have only a 30-day trial before you'll need to purchase an upgrade to your old 1Password 3 for Mac license OR start a 1password.com membership. Let us know if you have any questions!

ref: ITP-86491-823

This discussion has been closed.