It seems that the app on mac does not allow adding other members (of same family-) account ?

tommarien
tommarien
Community Member

Is there a specific reason why this is not allowed, what is then the entire idea behind the family account ? If you cannot login. Would it be possible if i created a different user for on mac and then did it ?

1Password Version: 6.8.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1Password on mac does not support multiple members to signin

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member

@tommarien

Yes, its designed to be used under, separate user accounts on the Mac.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @tommarien! @thightower is correct; you can have multiple users (from the same 1Password Families account) on the same Mac through the use of multiple user accounts on the Mac. 1Password is set up to be for a solo user in each instance. In my own family, for instance, we've got a couple of Macs, and any of us might be using either one at any given time...so we all have our own user accounts on both Macs. That way, when we log into our user account, 1Password is waiting for us with just our own data.

• tommarien
    tommarien
    Community Member
    edited March 2018

I get the picture, i just have a different setup, where my wife and i share the same mac account(local user account), and was just wondering why this app makes it impossible. It's a matter of opinion and yes i agree the proposed solution is safer but i wonder why the app does not allow it

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018

@tommarien - We could have - and still could - add such a multi-user feature to native 1Password apps (Mac, Windows), but because the way we currently do it is (as you pointed out) more secure and it's also the default for most applications, we've resisted adding this complexity into our apps.

It's not just additional complexity for users, however: we actually looked into this a while back and found that, partially due to everything having to be encrypted separately, this is a very difficult feature to implement correctly. We had edge cases and exceptions and all sorts of issues with building this to be able to stably meet real-world demands. We're aware that there are a few people who would like to use 1Password in this way, but the number of problems implementing such a feature would cause not just for those users, but for others as well, PLUS the availability of a good method of segregating user data using the tried-and-true method of separate user accounts on the device itself lead to this one probably not seeing the light of day.

ref: OPM-4092

• tommarien
    tommarien
    Community Member

@Lars Ok got the picture thanks for the detailed explaination, no worries it just means at the moment i cannot use a family account for my specific use case. And i understand that this is my choice and not as secure as the proposed solution ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tommarien: I think the bigger issue is that Mac apps, with the rare exception of web browsers (and perhaps a few others), are single-user apps, since the whole OS is designed to handle multi-user support with user accounts. But since web browsers do support this, you could use separate profiles there with 1Password.com or 1Password X if you like. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.