Is there any thought to adding basic formatting (IE Apple Notes) to secure notes?

drsbmac
drsbmac
Community Member

Is there any thought to adding basic formatting (IE Apple Notes) to secure notes? Utilization of standard formatting is really necessary (IE bold, italic, underline, justification). Even better would be utilization of a simple table function to delineate information in a readable format.

1Password Version: 6.8.7
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: OS X 10.13.3
Sync Type: Subscription
Referrer: forum-search:secure notes

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @drsbmac! Thanks for the question. We are actually experimenting with allowing Markdown in Secure Notes, because we've gotten plenty of requests for this feature. I want to make sure that you and anyone reading this in the future understands that 1Password is not and never will be a text editor nor a note-taking app; that's not its main function. If you need highly formatted documents in 1Password, it's better to save them in their source applications' format using the Documents feature (if you have a 1password.com account); you can already do this with a nearly unlimited set of file types. However, basic formatting for notes would indeed be a welcome addition. Stay tuned!

• jaime_g
    jaime_g
    Community Member
    edited March 2018

BUG:
    Notes is a field that allows multiple lines of text to be input, but when viewing an Entry, the IOS version of 1password renders the readonly view of the entry with all <Newline/Return> characters stripped off, running all lines together into a single nearly-illegible block of text.

Further investigation shows this only is a problem if the Note text is Pasted from the Mac clipboard in the Mac version of 1password. Then the resulting Entry is not rendered properly on the IOS version of 1password. (other Notes on other entries retain their newline-formatted appearance in the IOS version of 1password-- so this is a pretty deep and subtle interoperability bug between platform versions, perhaps contaminated data making reproducibility of this bug difficult)

THIS IS A REGRESSION, IT USED TO WORK

Even basic notes (for example, this comment) employ Newlines for readability; this is NOT really "Formatting" or "Rich Text" or "Markup/Markdown". Sure it's a bit tricky because the native Newline character is different on Mac and Windows, but really, it's well understood and easy to fix.

Currently, the workaround is tedious: Edit the Entry, then Edit the Note text, which is a multi-touch operation, and "dirties" the entry causing a synchronization (incorrectly updating its modification timestamp), when all that we need is to be able to READ it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jaime_g: I'm sorry, but I'm just not sure what you're talking about here. I don't disagree with you in principle, but you seem to be complaining that 1Password for iOS doesn't have a feature which it already does. Pretty much all of my notes are multi-line, and I'm able to use multi-line text in notes fields on all platforms. This is a discussion in the Mac category, but you seem to be referring to iOS, which may be confusing things further.

Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong for you and how we might right it! Please tell me the OS, 1Password, and device versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

Find your version

The more information you can give, the better. Thanks in advance for any clarification! :)

• jaime_g
    jaime_g
    Community Member

this is a bug. where/how do I file a bug ticket?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018

@jaime_g - we don't have a public-facing bug tracker, but we take comments either here or via email at support@agilebits.com. No need for you to go to email, just pointing out that's another place to make such requests/observations.

Can I ask, as brenty did, what version of 1Password for iOS you're running?

(spoiler: if it's not the current version, 7.0.5, that's likely the issue right there, which is why I'm asking)

• jaime_g
    jaime_g
    Community Member

IOS ver 7.0.5
    Mac ver 6.8.7

when composing a Note field on Mac using copy-and-paste from another application, the Newlines are lost when viewed on IOS (all the "lines" are jumbled together as if there were no Newlines in the text).

editing that Note field on IOS, I noticed that backspacing over the Newline does nothing on the 1st backspace keypress; then removes the Newline on the 2nd keypress. This suggests that 1password is storing Newlines as CR+LF (the Windows standard) not LF (the Unix standard) or CR (the Mac standard), which the text-viewing and text-editor component you're using on IOS isn't handling properly either when viewing or editing. The standard doesn't matter to anyone except that as a cross-platform product, your entire lineup of products need to process (render and edit) Newlines consistently on all Platforms.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jaime_g: I agree. I'm just not able to reproduce that here at all in any of my own notes or by copying and pasting your last comment into a new one, so it may be something with your setup or the specific text you're copying. I know we've made some improvements in the 7.0.6 beta too with regard to how notes text is processed so that may help in your case as well. Can you give me a concrete example of something that has issues for you so I can try the same thing here?

This discussion has been closed.