Can't find my secret key

patrickfallon
patrickfallon
Community Member

Hi guys, like some others here I cannot find my secret key. I have read the relevant forum posts and am now confused about the type of 1password account I have. I have accessed my Secret Key before. When I read the online documentation every solution requires me to login which requires a secret key. Vicious Cycle. Any solutions please? Also why does the Chrome extension constantly need updating/reloading/refreshing to get it to work again?

1Password Version: 6.8.7
Extension Version: 4.7.0.90
OS Version: 10.13.2 (17C205)
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:secret key

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@patrickfallon - You'll only have a Secret Key if you created a 1password.com account. Standalone 1Password with local vaults/data does not have a Secret Key. The reason I mention this is that you said your sync type was Dropbox, which wouldn't be the case if you had a 1password.com account.

If you signed up for a 1password.com account (Individual, 1Password Families or 1Password Teams), then you would've been asked to save your Emergency Kit as either a printed-out copy or as a PDF, the first time you successfully signed into your account on the web at 1password.com. Do you still have that? If so, your Secret Key will be available there.

Regarding Chrome, it is a browser in (very) active development, and whenever it auto-updates in the background 1) you may not always be aware and 2) it invalidates its own code signature since it's a different version. When this happens, you'll need to quit Chrome and possibly 1Password, in order to restore and re-validate that code-signature check.

• agilelover
    agilelover
    Community Member
    edited March 2018

Suggestion: Many many people are confused as to the type of 1password they have-stand alone or account. And the poor souls get frustrated looking for their account or secret key etc... They’re forever looking for something that isn’t there. So my suggestion is to give them something to click that explains this all to them.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@agilelover - thanks for the suggestion! We're always fine-tuning the UI for 1Password to take into account the needs of as many of our users as we can without burdening the experience down with too many niche-targeted messages/pop-ups, etc. We appreciate you taking the time to share your perspective. :)

This discussion has been closed.