Why read only on new MBA in previously purchased AppStore download?

iwhitmore
iwhitmore
Community Member

On behalf of a colleague who is not sufficiently computer literate to ask for himself. His computing has been transferred for him from a Mac mini to a MacBook Air. We still have access to both machines. In the AppStore on both machine 1Password shows as a previous purchase. It has been running for several years on the older Mac mini as it was purchased from the AppStore and regularly updated. On the MBA it only downloads as the trial version. He has only ever had one AppleID, and as it is showing in the purchased list on both machines we must be using the correct ID. How can we get the full version onto his new machine? He regularly uses it on his iPhone, and I think he is syncing it with his iCloud account. Both machines show the same version of 1Password. The older is running 10.11.6 and the MBA 10.13.3.

1Password Version: 6.8.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @iwhitmore! Sorry for the trouble with your coworker's transfer of Mac data from an older Mac to a newer one. If he's had only one Apple ID ever, then what you'll need to do on the new device is download 1Password from that Purchases tab of the Mac App Store, not directly from our product page. Delete the current copy of 1Password (don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to your colleague's Mac's Trash, empty the Trash, and restart his Mac). Then return to the Mac App Store and go to the purchases page, and download it from there.

• iwhitmore
    iwhitmore
    Community Member

Hi Lars, Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately this has not solved the problem. I have followed your instructions twice now and it still shows read only and asks for another sixty or so dollars. Any other ideas?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@iwhitmore - Sorry to hear that didn't help. This may be a problem you'll need to resolve with Apple, as we don't have any insight into, let alone control over, what goes on in the Mac App Store. I might suggest signing out of the Mac App Store completely, restarting your (colleague's) Mac, then signing back into the Mac App Store after restart. If that still doesn't work, and your colleague is certain he has only one Apple ID, then I'd get in touch with Apple to see if they can shed any light on the matter. Let us know what you discover!

• iwhitmore
    iwhitmore
    Community Member

Hi Lars - I thought that I would explore his downloads and found a one-password license file which works fine with the download from the Agilebits site. Clearly my colleague did not remember from where he got the working copy! My apologies for all the confusion and many thanks for the good advice.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@iwhitmore - no worries! I'm glad you managed to figure it out, you're a good guy for helping your colleague get squared away. :)

This discussion has been closed.