Is there a way for me to access my 1Password account if I don't have access to my Mac or iPhone?

norm
norm
Community Member

I seem to remember something called 1PW Away but maybe that didn't do what I want.

I'd like to have that capability if an emergency.

Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.8.7
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: OS X 10.13.3
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:1Password away

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018

@norm - I can't say for sure, but it sounds like you might be remembering the old 1PasswordAnywhere, which is a now-deprecated and non-functional way in the past for users to have read-only access to their data on any device with a web browser. 1PasswordAnywhere was phased out for two reasons: one, work had begun on a much more-robust replacement, 1Password.com accounts, two, at the same time that Dropbox deprecated the API which allowed 1PasswordAnywhere to work.

Since you listed your sync method as Dropbox, I'm guessing that means you don't yet have a 1password.com account, which means that there's no current way for a user in those circumstances to access their data if they don't have one of their devices handy.

If this is something you anticipate needing or wanting, I'd strongly recommend you take a look at a 1password.com membership: it has many advantages, one of which is that it allows you full read/write access to 1Password using both the native 1Password apps you already know and use, as well as any web browser, if you have your Master Password and Secret Key. You can sign up for a 30-day free trial of 1password.com at the main 1Password sign-up page. We also have plans available for families, if you've got multiple people using 1Password in the household.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@norm: But — and I can't stress this enough — accessing sensitive information using an untrusted device is never recommended. it's your call if, in a true emergency, you decide that the very real risks are outweighed by an urgent need. But it's important to be aware that the feeling of urgency can be a liability. Panicked people make poor decisions. And 80% of security is resisting the urge to take an unnecessary risk. Stay safe out there!

• norm
    norm
    Community Member

Thank you both for the very helpful comments.
    If Agile sent me info about the .com membership my bifocals were not working that day so thank you for that information and link.
    And brenty, I appreciate that wise counsel.
    Thank you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@norm - no worries! I'm glad we were able to clarify the state of things for you as they stand today. Feel free to contact us anytime if you have questions or issues; we're here to help!

This discussion has been closed.