How to have all passwords on personal laptop, but only work passwords on work laptop

EliasZ
EliasZ
Community Member

Suppose that I have a personal laptop and a work laptop, both running 1Password and macOS.

I want to have one vault with all of my personal passwords, and I want it only on my personal laptop. I also want to have another vault with my work passwords, on both laptops. I do not want any of my personal passwords to be accessible in any way from my work laptop.

What is the simplest way of going about doing this?

1Password Version: 6.8.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@EliasZ - So, if you have a 1password.com account, it's going to be a little more difficult, as it's assumed that you want to view your data wherever you are. Frankly, the "easiest" way to do this if you have a 1password.com account would be to have your employer subscribe to 1Password Teams -- that's the way to keep your data viewable anywhere, but segregated between separate accounts. You can add as many accounts as you wish to 1Password for Mac, so you'd add both your work and personal accounts into your personal laptop, but only your 1Password Teams account into your work laptop.

If that's not an option for you because your employer doesn't want to use 1Password Teams, then it will make a difference whether you're using 1password.com or standalone 1Password. Which of these would you be using a) at home and b) at work?

• EliasZ
    EliasZ
    Community Member

@Lars, thanks for the advice.

This is for a job that I just started 2 days ago, so I might be too new to have any influence over decisions like whether they use 1Password Teams, but I suggested it anyway.

I usually use standalone 1Password, but I would be willing to use 1password.com if it makes it significantly easier to achieve my goal.

• mickaphd
    mickaphd
    Community Member

That's really something they have to improve indeed. We should be able with the 1Password.com account to decide which vault we want to see on each devices. It could be extremely useful in your case with a work computer but also with a shared iPad etc.
    Finally and apart the sync option, we were able to do much more stuffs with standalone vaults...

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

You could use different vaults, but I just use folders or tags to separate between work and personal.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@EliasZ - When you use standalone 1Password, the first time you open 1Password you create your Primary vault. Some people never need anything more than this. Others create multiple vaults, and in this case, it works to your advantage to do so. Since you want your "work" items in a vault that's accessible on both laptops but your personal items available only on your personal laptop, this is what I'd recommend:

1. On your personal laptop, create a secondary vault and call it "work" or whatever seems best to you. Give it the same password as your Master Password. Move all of your work items into that vault.
    2. Sync this secondary "work" vault using Dropbox here’s how
    3. At the office, on your work laptop, download and install Dropbox if you don't have it already. Then download and install 1Password and run it.
    4. At the Welcome screen, choose Dropbox as your data source and navigate to the OPVault for the "work" vault you created and synced in step 2.
    5. Enter your password for the work vault.

That should give you both your personal stuff in Primary and your work stuff in "work" on your personal laptop, and only the work items in Primary on your work laptop.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ckp, @mickaphd, @EliasZ: Or you could use a 1Password Teams plan and use a guest account to have a separate setup for work. That allows you to use a single shared vault. Just something to consider. Cheers! :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mickaphd - A while back, we introduced Travel Mode, which is kind of a way to have some vaults available and others not. But it really wasn't intended to be a long-term solution like the one EliasZ was hoping for. There are often things we can do to improve 1Password in terms of both the security and the functionality it offers, but we have to be mindful of not making 1Password too complicated or intimidatingly feature-laden for average users. Everyone deserves real, usable security, and the more complexity we build into 1Password, the more intimidating it can be for some users. Not only that, but the more difficult and intricate the inner machinations of key management become, as well as the chances for error.

• EliasZ
    EliasZ
    Community Member

@Lars, thanks for the advice. I have a question: why should I use Dropbox to sync the vault instead of 1password.com? I am asking out of curiosity, and also because I am new at this job, and they have some strict rules about security, and I'm not sure if they will even allow me to use Dropbox without a good reason. I am not sure when and if I'll have the time, willingness, and ability to try your solution, but if I do, I'll post here about how well it works.

@brenty, I suggested 1Password Teams, as mentioned in my earlier post, but whether I end up using it depends on whether my company decides to use it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018

@EliasZ - Let me try to be as clear as I can: in general, I don't recommend Dropbox over 1password.com. It's manual, involves a 3rd party, and requires you to have the knowledge to set it up correctly and be able to troubleshoot it yourself. Nothing against Dropbox, they were our very first "cloud" sync service and we still have many users syncing their 1Password data that way to this very day. But no 3rd party API can be as thorough or as robust as a dedicated setup we design and manage ourselves. We maintain these 3rd party sync services because we've already done the work to set them up and test them, and because some of our users prefer it to 1password.com membership. But for the vast majority of our customers, 1password.com accounts will be faster, easier to use and have more of the features people are looking for.

The reason I mentioned standalone data and Dropbox sharing is because if you have an individual 1Password account, it's just you. There's no easy way to turn off access to certain vaults on certain devices. As brenty mentioned above, if you have a 1Password Teams account, or a 1Password Families account, you could "invite" yourself as a guest. Guests have access to only a single vault; what you'd do (from your regular account) is designate the "work" vault as the one vault you want "guest you" to access. Then, at work, download and install 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows (depending on your situation) and sign in not with your real account, but only with the guest account...and presto, you have only your work passwords available to you.

The issue is that an individual account does not have the ability to invite guests because, well, then it wouldn't be individual. That's why I mentioned potentially using standalone data and Dropbox sharing -- that, and the fact that you said you use standalone 1Password instead of a 1password.com account. If you DO have a 1password.com account or are open to creating one, then I'd suggest you go for a 1Password Families account, which would allow you to invite not only yourself as a "guest," (for work), but also up to four additional family members.

This discussion has been closed.