Generate password for webpage, but wrong one saved in new Login entry

pbuck
pbuck
Community Member

Working with a new web login. I login using a provided temporary password. 1Password correctly prompts to save login password (... it saves the temporary password because that's what I entered.) Okay, as expected.

Now, web site's next page is for changing the password away from the provided temporary password.
I manually enter temp password (I suppose I could have used 1password for that...), and then use generate password for the new one.

1Password correctly creates new password, fills it into the two fields ("New Password" and "Repeat New Password"). I submit the form, and I'm logged in.

But... 1Password didn't offer to update (or create) my Login entry. I don't actually know what password was generated, so I can't update it myself.

Now, if I logout and attempt to log back in, I see on mini, 'Password Generator -> History for ' which does indeed have the correct password, so I can login.

Problem is, I can't view that "old" generated password value, Cannot "Copy" it to my clipboard, and 1Password doesn't update my Login entry. So I'm stuck -- as long as the "History" is available I can multi-step to login, but I cannot get the value or update the 1Password database.

Am I missing something procedurally? (This isn't new: it's been true for a year or more -- it just annoyed me sufficiently today to cause me to ask for help...)

1Password Version: 6.8.7
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: OS X 10.13.3
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Generate password for webpage, but wrong one saved in new Login entry

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@pbuck Every password generated by 1Password for Mac will be saved in the Passwords category. If you look in the left sidebar, you'll see the Passwords category. Select it and - if necessary - choose to sort the column by Date Modified or Date Created. That should bring the recently-generated password to the top of the column and allow you to copy it for use on the site, and to create or modify the existing Login item.

1Password will offer to save passwords at most sites as long as you have "Detect new usernames and passwords and offer to save them" checked in 1Password Preferences > Browsers. There may occasionally be sites where something about the form fields or the rest of the page means it won't offer to save, but in such cases, the Password item itself will indeed always be saved.

• pbuck
    pbuck
    Community Member

Indeed! By sorting the list by Date Created, I can see the recently generated password & can copy/paste it into my Login entry.

Yes, "Detect new usernames" is selected and usually works, it's nice to find this feature for when it didn't.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@pbuck Glad I could help! If you get sites for which we're not filling OR saving properly, let us know.

This discussion has been closed.