Verifying an update as reported by dropbox

smarty
smarty
Community Member

I received a notification from dropbox that I added a password 3 hours ago. I do not recall doing this. Dropbox identifies a file name (a whole bunch of letters and numbers.1password). I can't open that file in 1P and when I review my modifications in 1P (filter them by date) there were no modifications made today. How can I verify that this was something I did (and forgot) or that something fishy is going on.

1Password Version: 6.8.7
Extension Version: 4.6.10.90
OS Version: OS X 10.13.3
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @smarty! Probably the best way to check for something like that would be to view All Items in the All Vaults view (or just the vault in question where something was changed), and sort the column by Date Modified. Check what's at the top of the column and see if it jogs your memory.

• smarty
    smarty
    Community Member

@Lars That's what I did and there were no modifications listed for today, despite dropbox saying to the contrary. The file that dropbox said was changed was modified at 7:22am today. However, in the all vaults > all items > sort by date modified search ---there were no modifications made today nor at that time. Any thoughts? Not to mention, I wasn't even using a device at 7:22am this morning.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@smarty - it's possible that one of your devices just synced now, after having been unable to connect for some reason previously. That might cover an older edit showing up only now. Other than that, I'm honestly not certain. Dropbox actually told you that a password was added? Or did it just say a file had been modified? Do you have a record of the message you received?

• smarty
    smarty
    Community Member

@Lars the dropbox message was "you added a file 2 hours ago" and it listed the file name--a long series of numbers and letters followed by .1password, but at that point I hadn't hardly been on a device 2 hours previously and any changes I remember making were also already accounted for in the "All Vaults/All items/ sort by date modified" list.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@smarty - that's odd. The file you're describing is definitely a 1Password file -- but we don't have any insight into the Dropbox process beyond what's available to us via the APIs which allow for syncing to happen at all. Originally, you were worried that "something fishy" was going on; let me repeat my suspicion that it's not likely someone's altering your Dropbox files and trying to add passwords to your account. That would require they be able to access your Dropbox account itself (presumably you have it secured with a strong password).

If you're still worried about the possibility of unauthorized access, I would stop syncing via Dropbox on all devices and on the last device you do this with, check the box to remove data from Dropbox as well. Then sign out of Dropbox apps everywhere, sign IN to Dropbox in a web browser and change your password there (make sure to save the change in 1Password on the device you're using), change your Master Password for 1Password, then re-enable Dropbox sync on that device, and finally re-enable Dropbox sync on other devices as well.

This discussion has been closed.