iOS Settings has: Vaults > Sync Additional Vaults --- Where do I do this on a Mac and on Android?

Options
JWJ
JWJ
Community Member

Hi,

Actually multiple categories: Mac, Android and iOS. I paid Agile bits for all three platforms. And the problem is cross platform.

I have been using 1Password since 21 January 2008 and syncing via Dropbox for a very long time.

My current setup is two Macs, four iOS devices and two Android devices. My Mac license is five people on as many Macs as I see fit, I am the only person. I purchased "Pro Features" on both iOS and Android.

This is all synced via Dropbox.

All Macs and devices are on the latest software updates.

Now to my problem.

On my main Mac I recently created a second vault.

In 1PW on the iOS devices I went into Settings > Vaults > Sync Additional Vault and, Voila, I have access to the second vault.

In 1PW ON the second Mac I went into Preferences > All Vaults and found nothing equivalent. I poked around in the various preferences and found nothing. In the Finder I then went to the new vault in Dropbox and right clicked on it and selected "Open." I got a 1PW popup that said "Create New Vault" and "1Password will create a new vault from ..." I do not want to create a new vault from the existing vault I want to connect to the existing vault as I did on the iOS devices.

On Android I have not found anything equivalent to the iOS functionality.

So, how do I "Sync Additional Vaults" across each, bought and paid for, version of 1PW?

Regards,
Jake

PS, No single category applies (one of which you require and only one) so I arbitrarily picked Android.
The multiple categories are: Mac, Android and iOS.

Comments

• peri
    Options

Hi @JWJ. Currently, it's not possible to sync and access multiple local vaults (through Dropbox or WLAN) on Android. You can only sync the Primary vault. However, it is possible to sync multiple vaults with a 1Password membership, though.
    The Pro features on Android unlock the ability to add items, edit existing fields, and fill. You can find a bit more about them here: https://support.1password.com/pro-features-android/

For syncing multiple vaults on Android, I recommend switching to an account. If you like, please email support@1password.com and we'll look into your purchases, and see if we can get you some credit toward an account.

• JWJ
    JWJ
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

OK my bad for making what I thought was a reasonable assumption of 1PW feature parity on the two major mobile platforms. I should have dug deeper. However, so much for my trust in AgileBits. The price is the same on both platforms. When will Android have the same capabilities as iOS?

You chose not to address the similar problem I described about 1PW for the Mac. Why?

Regards,
    Jake

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018
    Options

@JWJ: I'm sorry for the confusion. That's why we offer all of the features fully unlocked for 30 days before you purchase: so you can try them all before spending any money. I wish that was possible on iOS, but these are very different platforms. The iOS app has been around much longer and has the benefit of much of the work we've put into 1Password for Mac even before that. With 1Password.com we're working on a common standard which we can implement across platforms though, so we're making progress there. I agree that more consistency is needed, but at the same time Android isn't iOS; it just got a way for 1Password to integrate with apps this past year, after all, when we've had similar capabilities on iOS for years. While at the same time we've had a 1Password keyboard on Android for years, and that isn't really feasible on iOS. Apples and oranges, as they say.

Regarding 1Password for Mac, I apologize. I suspect Peri didn't realize you had a question there. I'm not sure either, but since you mentioned it it sounds like maybe you're trying to setup sync from the preferences for the All Vaults display. Is that the case? If so, you can open the existing vault in 1Password for Mac by double-clicking it in Finder, and then configure it to sync in Preferences > Sync (though you may not have to do that if it's already in Dropbox). I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• JWJ
    JWJ
    Community Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hi,

This is exactly what I said about the 1PW Mac (copied from above):
    <<<
    In 1PW ON the second Mac I went into Preferences > All Vaults and found nothing equivalent. I poked around in the various preferences and found nothing. In the Finder I then went to the new vault in Dropbox and right clicked on it and selected "Open." I got a 1PW popup that said "Create New Vault" and "1Password will create a new vault from ..." I do not want to create a new vault from the existing vault I want to connect to the existing vault as I did on the iOS devices.
    <<<
    Note that the mac 1PW app explicitly states that it "will create a new vault from ... ." Also note yhat "I do not want to create a new vault from the existing vault I want to connect to the existing vault ..." Your reply implies that it is connecting to the existing vault, however, the 1PW app explicitly states that it will create a new vault.

Regards,
    Jake

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JWJ: Right. I read that. It doesn't make sense to me in the context of your more recent comments. Let's back up:

You chose not to address the similar problem I described about 1PW for the Mac. Why?

What is the "problem" you're having? Perhaps I misunderstood:

What are you trying to do exactly? Also:

Note that the mac 1PW app explicitly states that it "will create a new vault from ... ." Also note yhat "I do not want to create a new vault from the existing vault I want to connect to the existing vault ..." Your reply implies that it is connecting to the existing vault, however, the 1PW app explicitly states that it will create a new vault.

What does this mean? What's the context? Are you talking about 1Password for Mac, or 1Password for Android? Or iOS? You've gone back and forth referencing all three, so I want to make sure I'm on the same page with you here. Thanks in advance!

• JWJ
    JWJ
    Community Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hi,

You quoted this:

And then said this:

What does this mean? What's the context? Are you talking about 1Password for Mac, or 1Password for Android? Or iOS? You've gone back and forth referencing all three, so I want to make sure I'm on the same page with you here. Thanks in advance!

As to context, my first sentence starts: "Note that the mac 1PW app ---" (emphasis added).

As to meaning, as I said initially (after describing my general setup):

On my main Mac I recently created a second vault.

I then said:

In 1PW on the iOS devices I went into Settings > Vaults > Sync Additional Vault and, Voila, I have access to the second vault.

I then said:

I then said:

On Android I have not found anything equivalent to the iOS functionality.

I then said:

So, how do I "Sync Additional Vaults" across each, bought and paid for, version of 1PW?

You stated:

You've gone back and forth referencing all three, ...

As I mentioned them in this sequence:
    1. First mac - created and populated second vault
    2. iOS devices - successfully setup syncing with the second vault, using built-in iOS 1PW functionality
    3. Second mac - was unable to find any equivalent functionality in the 1PW mac app - so I used the Finder to navigate to the second vault in the Dropbox folder, right-clicked on it and selected "Open" and got a 1PW popup stating that 1PW will create a new vault from the one that was selected in the Finder and keep it in sync.
    4. Android devices - I was unable to find anything equivalent to the iOS functionality

It does not appear to me to be jumping back and forth. Yes, I am talking about three versions of 1PW (mac, ios & android), however, I am talking about them in the order I did something on each of them.

Peri has already stated:

Currently, it's not possible to sync and access multiple local vaults (through Dropbox or WLAN) on Android.

So there is no solution for Android

As to the second Mac, Brenty stated:

If so, you can open the existing vault in 1Password for Mac by double-clicking it in Finder, and then configure it to sync in Preferences > Sync (though you may not have to do that if it's already in Dropbox).

I infer from this that Brenty is saying that 1PW on the second mac will be opening the second vault not creating a new one from it.
    However once again, the 1PW mac app popup window explicitly states that it will "create a new vault" from the double clicked vault.
    Also, once again:

I do not want to create a new vault from the existing vault I want to connect to the existing vault as I did on the iOS devices.

So is what I think Brenty is saying correct or is what the 1PW mac app is saying correct.

Regards,
    Jake

PS
    Here is the 1PW mac popup window:

PS PS
    As i Mentioned, I first purchased 1PW for the mac in January 2008. So I'm not sure why the 30 day tryout period was pointed out to me :) :) :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JWJ: Thanks so much for the followup! That definitely helps clarify things. I think we're getting hung up on semantics, literally.

I infer from this that Brenty is saying that 1PW on the second mac will be opening the second vault not creating a new one from it.

For our purposes here, that will accomplish what you're trying to do. But either way you're creating a new vault in 1Password for Mac. I think that's where the confusion lies.

However once again, the 1PW mac app popup window explicitly states that it will "create a new vault" from the double clicked vault.

Yep.

So is what I think Brenty is saying correct or is what the 1PW mac app is saying correct.

Both are. 1Password for Mac keeps all vaults in an internal database, so in order for you to add data from another sync'd folder, you'll need to have a new one created in the app itself, otherwise 1Password for Mac will only have the Primary. There are two ways that you can accomplish this:

a. (My suggestion) double-click the sync'd vault in Finder to add it to 1Password for Mac

b. Create a new vault in 1Password for Mac, and then select the existing sync'd vault when configuring sync for it

Both have the same result, but I find the former is easier. I was trying to present this in a way so as to get you the result you were asking for, and I'm sorry if my suggestion caused more confusion for you.

As i Mentioned, I first purchased 1PW for the mac in January 2008. So I'm not sure why the 30 day tryout period was pointed out to me :) :) :)

I referenced trying 1Password for Android for 30 days before you bought it, since that allowed you to use all of its features before deciding to purchase. I'm sorry if that confused things. :blush:

This discussion has been closed.