Firefox Quantum 1P extension slows/becomes unresponsive?

grendl
grendl
Community Member

My recent experience running Firefox 59.0 on a 2012 MBA (macOS 10.13.3) has been that the extension is very fast when the browser is first opened, but becomes increasingly slow/eventually unresponsive over time, so much so that I've temporarily switched back to Chrome, which seems better. Typically 10-20 tabs open, some moderately intensive JavaScript updates running (e.g. portfolio charts/updates). Wondering if anyone else is seeing this? Anything I can do? Thanks very much -- Doug.

1Password Version: 6.8.7 Mac App Store
Extension Version: 4.7.0.90
OS Version: macOS 10.13.3
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Firefix Quantum unresponsive?

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@grendl - I don't use Firefox as my primary browser, so it may be difficult for me to speak from experience with running it for a long time with the 1Password extension in the background. But we've not noticed other reports of this, as far as I'm aware. ANY browser (heck, for that matter, any APP) will slow down if it has to try to do too many tasks simultaneously, whether that's open tabs or what have you. But more than that, this may be at least partly a function of another factor: the fact that you're using a six year old Mac running the very latest OS and "moderately intensive" javascript.

Can you tell us a bit more about what specifically you mean by "slow and unresponsive?" Is it the time between attempting to access mini and the mini actually displaying? Time before it fills? Something else?

• grendl
    grendl
    Community Member

Hi Lars -- thanks for your response! I appreciate your comments, however I'm hesitant to blame the hardware in this case as the MBA was running (and continues to run) pretty much everything quite reliably and reasonably quickly -- and most importantly, was working fine before I migrated to the latest Firefox Quantum. I do think the specific browser (FQ) is probably the culprit here -- as, again, 1P (and everything else) was working quite well before moving to FQ.

In terms of "slow and unresponsive" what I've seen is:

• Everything is fine after initially opening the browser (FQ).
    • After working for some time (e.g. 30 minutes to an hour) the mini appears more slow (a few seconds between invocation and appearance), and fails to fill sporadically.
    • After more time passes (e.g. 2-3 hours) the mini fails to appear more often (at least using the keyboard shortcut), and fails to fill quite often.
    • At that point I typically restarted the browser.

If no one else is seeing this issue, then it's probably something to do with my FQ config -- if I get time I'll investigate it -- but for the moment I've migrated back to Chrome, and 1P is it's old snappy self :-)

Also, I realize I'm running quite an old version of 1P as this point -- need to investigate the family/cloud based product at some point. See earlier comments re: "If I get time..." :-)

Thanks again - 1P is an amazing product, I appreciate all the good work :-)

Doug

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@grendl - Thanks for the kind words! To be clear, 6.8.7 isn't "an old version" of 1Password. Until we released 6.8.8 just yesterday, it was the current one. I'm guessing you meant it was "old" because you're still using standalone 1Password instead of a 1password.com account. However, both "flavors" (standalone and 1password.com) use the same 1Password applications, so your version isn't "old" at all.

When we get reports of "slowness," however, it's often difficult to know what exactly is bearing upon the user experience. I mentioned the age of the Mac itself, because often that can be a factor. I agree that what you may be experiencing might be to do with Firefox rather than with 1Password, since you say both Chrome and the 1Password extension there work smoothly and quickly. But definitely let us know what you discover. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.