Can't sync with WLAN server

ckp
ckp
Community Member

Hi, I have my Macbook currently connected to my iphone using my iphone's hotspot (i'm traveling). I need to sync my vault using WLAN server. I am running the 1P WLAN Server on my Macbook, but my iphone sits forever on "one moment please..." when tapping "Sync with WLAN server".
Does this have to be done when my macbook and iphone are on my home wireless instead and can't work over the hotspot connection?
I have to change from Sync with Dropbox to Sync with WLAN server because I switched from Dropbox to OneDrive and it appears OneDrive is not a sync option in the iphone 1p app sadly.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ckp - it has to be done when the two devices are connected to the same wi-fi network, yes. Doesn't have to be your home network though of course that's the safest option. To be clear, OneDrive isn't supported officially on Mac, either, so I'm not sure what you meant there.

If you want a truly solution to making your 1Password data available everywhere, on all devices including in a browser if you don't have one of your own devices handy, I'd invite you to check out a 1Password membership.

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

well, when your macbook is connected to your iphone hotspot i would imagine they are on the same network. anyway it works on my home wireless network and that is good enough for me. that solves the onedrive issue for the most part.
    i moved my 1p vaults to my onedrive in my macbook and set 1p settings for sync to that location, and that has been working just fine on my macbook for a while now. so, my iphone can just use my macbook wlan server and it should be good. i really like the stand alone 1p app, and I'm very opposed to ever switching to your newer subscription model.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ckp - Direct wi-fi connection or an ad hoc wireless network function differently than being two separate clients on the same existing wi-fi network. I'm glad you've found a sync method that's working for you; we have many users who've reported success using all sorts of different DIY sync methods. What I want to make clear is that these methods are not officially supported, because we haven't tested them and made any necessary changes to 1Password's code to ensure stability with these unsupported methods. You won't be forced into a 1password.com membership, but I can't do anything other than recommend you stick with one of our supported advanced sync methods.

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

you do support what i'm doing, because the 1p app settings let me point to a local folder and that's exactly what i've done. shouldn't really matter at all if that local folder is also part of my onedrive folder. the only thing i would say you guys might not "support" this way would be if i were to try using multiple devices to access that "local" folder from onedrive at the same time because of possible merge issues or concurrent access issues. but if i don't use multiple devices at the same time to access that folder, should be no issue at all and hasn't been.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ckp,

I haven't had cause to try for quite some time but if you set up a ad-hoc network from the Mac that works. I confess I don't know what the iPhone may be doing or not doing or what protections it might put in place when it's behaving as a hotspot but something differs. Thankfully you probably won't need to do this too often when you're travelling but it will allow you to occasionally update your vaults in 1Password for iOS when out and about.

This discussion has been closed.