Merging 2 stand-alone database files

mattsteinruck
mattsteinruck
Community Member

My wife and both have individual licensed 1Password 6 stand-alone software on our MacBook Pro's. We both sync our indivudal info to separate Dropboxes (.agilekeychain files)

We would like to merge those files into 1 single record that we're both reading from and writing to, to access the same information.

Is it possible to do this?

(I realize there is now cloud-based software, but we have paid-for applications that are currently working just fine. We just want the ability to jointly access the same information, which we need frequently for site logins and credit cards that we both use.)

1Password Version: 6.8.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @mattsteinruck! You'll have to forgive me for a moment, because the scenario you're describing is literally what a 1Password Families account was tailor-made for: two to five users who each have a Private vault for individual items (like personal email addresses, their own separate Facebook logins, etc), and access to the Shared vault, where everyone on the account can view/edit/add to the vault. That's the setup I have with my wife and kids.

What you're asking to do is possible with standalone 1Password, but one of you would need to create a secondary vault, then sync it via Dropbox and also share it via Dropbox. I feel like I should mention, however, that 1Password 7 will be released in the not-too-distant future. When it is, there will be a separate cost to license it for holders of existing licenses. Pricing's not yet been determined, but my point is that both you and your wife would need to purchase a license to keep using 1Password 7 in standalone mode, while access to all four of our native applications (Mac, Windows, iOS and Android) is included with a 1Password membership. So, while you'll save yourself some money today if you go through the above Dropbox-share procedures, it won't be long before it may actually be cheaper for you to become 1Password Families members at $59.88/yr than to continue purchasing two separate individual licenses every time we release a new version. If you'd like to check out 1Password Families right now, there's a 30-day free trial available. You can head over to the main 1Password Families sign-up page, create an account, and see if it's for you!

• mattsteinruck
    mattsteinruck
    Community Member

Understood.
    Like most software companies, it's largely just a squeeze play to eventually get all the legacy customers moved over the preferred annual accounts after a while, simply making it unprofitable to stay with the existing "this is just fine for me" solution. But a smart business move for you for sure. The world races ahead and we must jump on board.

Last question:
    Our "private" accounts do not have to remain private. There's nothing we're meaning to hide from one another, they're just separate and could easily simply existing in one large DB of shared information. If we simply signed up for a "personal" plan that we shared, can our 2 existing accounts be merged and synced together into a singular personal plan, or will that cause them to explode? Is there a merge feature that accounts for duplicate records, etc?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mattsteinruck - you're not wrong about wanting to move most users over to 1password.com accounts, but I would quibble with what sounded like your characterization of it as a monetary issue for us. That's actually not at all the main reason for wanting most users to switch to 1password.com from standalone. The main reason is that it's much more robust, we're able to integrate much more tightly with the sync mechanism when it's one written by us, and we offer many more features that were either flat-out impossible or had to be implemented on a case-by-case basis with external, 3rd-party sync solutions. A good example of this would be the Dropbox-share solution I mentioned in my above response: is it possible? Sure. Is it simple? No. Not nearly as simple as using a 1password.com account. That's why we make no apologies about suggesting 1password.com as a much simpler and more robust solution for the vast majority of our users.

Regarding the concept of "Private" vaults, you've hit upon one of the (surprisingly) most-difficult things of all for us in rolling out 1password.com accounts. We're quite aware that "Private" carries the connotation of "secret from everyone else," and that's not at all the intent of a Private vault. It's merely to acknowledge that, although you and your spouse are an open book to one another and don't have any "secrets" from each other, you DO have separate logins for many things. Imagine this: a family of five who have a 1Password Families account. They all love and trust one another, so there wouldn't be any problem with everyone seeing each others' 1Password items...except the problem of usability. Assume each member of the family has a Facebook account, and a gmail address. If you just put everyone's data in the Shared vault because you have no secrets from one another, then there will be five separate entries labeled "Facebook" and another five entries labeled "gmail" -- so when you go to use 1Password to fill in your credentials for either of those sites, 1Password has no way to know which credentials are yours. Instead of things just filling "magically," you have to scroll through five nearly-identical entries to find your credentials. The Private vault solves that; it's a way to store, organize and keep separate items that aren't necessarily things you want to keep secret from your family, but that no one else but you uses, because they're yours, and other family members have their own individual credentials for the same thing.

To answer your question directly, yes: there's nothing preventing you from signing up for an individual 1Password account and sharing the Master Password and Secret Key (and thus the account) with another person, as long as a) you understand that anyone who can sign into the account can see/use/delete/modify EVERYTHING in the account and there is NO way to change that, and b) you're OK with having a confusing multiplicity of accounts (two or more of many things).

Having said that, there is no "merge" feature of the kind I think you're talking about, but before we proceed with specifics, let me ask you something: have you already set up a 1Password Families account? If you have not, then you don't need to worry about it. If you have, then we should probably take this to private email to avoid discussing details of your specific 1Password setup in this public forum.

This discussion has been closed.