1Password Sync Problem detected

Options
jenono
jenono
Community Member

I'm using a MacBookPro, mid 2012, 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, OS 10.13.3. Starting yesterday a message keeps popping up saying, "1Password Sync. Problem detected. Update preferences" and giving me the option to 'Ignore' or 'Fix'. So I click 'Fix'.

I've tried the following several times: I go to 1Password preferences and click on the 'Sync' icon, follow the path to the folder and then the file itself on my DropBox account and click - and it seems to update (the little spinning thing whirls). But when I come back to 1Password, this same message pops up again.
I have a cellphone, Apple SE (2016), and an older iPad (Model MD531C/A) both set to sync with this same DropBox file. They seem to not have this problem

What am I doing wrong?
TIA,
Jenny

1Password Version: 6.8.7
Extension Version: 687006
OS Version: 10.13.3
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jenono: The data may simply be damaged on your computer, or Dropbox itself may be out of date there. Be sure to make sure you're fully updated, and then follow this guide to help you narrow down the problem:

Dropbox sync troubleshooting

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know how it turns out! :)

• jenono
    jenono
    Community Member
    Options

Following your suggestion, I updated everything - DropBox, the OSs on my 3 devices, etc. etc. - and the problem still persisted.

So I decided to follow the advice on your web site and become a 1Password member so I could sync my MacBook Pro, my iPhone and my iPad copies of 1Password via your server. So I clicked the 'Trial Membership' button and proceeded. The MBP and the iPhone seemed to work OK, but apparently my iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5 (13G36), model MD531C/A) doesn't work because it cannot be upgraded to the necessary most recent iOS.

Now when I log on to 1Password from the MBP, I have two of everything, and my old password still works - not the new, longer one that was required when I installed the membership.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jenono: Ah. It sounds like you followed our 1Password.com migration guide but ignored a very important part. Either this:

Migrate your data on your main device

And only on that device, rather than copying the same data to your account multiple times on different devices.

Or this:

To remove your old Primary vault, choose 1Password menu > Switch to Vault > Primary. Then choose 1Password menu > Delete Vault.

You may still have your original Primary vault, with the same data you copied to your account, in the app, so that in the All Vaults view you see the data for both, hence two of everything.

Can you tell me which is the case?

• jenono
    jenono
    Community Member
    Options

I have no idea which of those actions I did or didn't do. At the moment, when I select an item in 1Password, in the 'vault' field the first version of the duplicates says 'Personal' and has the field 'account' just above the word 'vault', the data for which is 'Jenny Ono Suttaby'. The second version of the two says, 'Primary' in the 'vault' field. The account field is missing entirely from this second version. This seems to be the case with every item - at least all the duplicates I checked.

Would it be any use doing either of those actions now - either "migrate your data on your main device" or "To remove your old Primary vault, choose 1Password menu >Switch to Vault>Primary. Then choose 1Password menu >Delete Vault"? If so, which?

And if that works then there is the question of getting my iPhoneSE and my iPad to sync...

Your help is very greatly appreciated!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jenono: Thanks! Indeed, "Primary" is not part of an account; that's a local vault which is stored only on your device. Please check this for me: if you select only the Personal vault, do you see all of your data there, but only one copy of each item? If so, that's all in your account, and you can safely delete the Primary vault:

1. Choose 1Password menu > Switch to Vault > Primary.
    2. Then choose 1Password menu > Delete Vault"

If so, sign into your account here in your web browser:

https://start.1password.com/apps

And that will give you all the information you need to setup 1Password on your other devices. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• jenono
    jenono
    Community Member
    Options

I wasn't sure where I should select the Personal vault, but went to Preferences and selected All Vaults - and seem to have chosen the right one because it lists Primary then Jenny Ono Suttaby with a sub choice of Personal. At this point all three choices are checked, Primary, Jenny Ono Suttaby, and Personal - and on the 1Password screen there is two of each listing. When I un-check the Primary vault, the 1Password screen changes and shows only one listing for each item, and each item has vault, Personal as part of its information.

So, sounds to me like it is safe to delete the Primary Vault, but deleting anything so crucial as my password information makes me very nervous - so I would be grateful for confirmation that this is what I should do. Should I un-check the Primary vault first?

Thanks!!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jenono - no need to un-check it first; you'll be fine. Also, 1Password makes automatic backups of local vaults about every 24 hours, so if you delete it, those backups will remain in your Backups folder and could be accessed/restored later if you discover that by deleting the Primary vault you inadvertently deleted some necessary data.

• jenono
    jenono
    Community Member
    Options

Big sigh. I followed Brenty's advice,
    "Choose 1Password menu > Switch to Vault > Primary.
    Then choose 1Password menu > Delete Vault"
    then entered my master password as instructed - and 1Password crashed. I sent in the report and 1Password rebooted - but I seem to be back to square one: there are two listings of everything, and in Preferences both the Primary, Jenny Ono Suttaby and Personal vaults are present and checked. Again, I would be grateful for your advice.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jenono - I'm so sorry! That's certainly not what we want to see happen. I'm not sure why 1Password would crash on you like that, but that was indeed the correct thing to do -- let's try this a slightly different way, and see if we get the results we want: open 1Password Preferences > Advanced (the gear icon on the top right of the Preferences window), and UN-check the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts." That will remove the Primary vault also (presuming it's the only local vault you have). Let me know how that goes for you!

• jenono
    jenono
    Community Member
    Options

Before attempting the above I restarted my computer - and 1Password also, of course. I did as instructed and it seemed to work as the duplicate listings disappeared before a request for my password popped up. I put in my old password (the new one created when I signed up for an account didn't work), then a request for my new master password appeared. I entered this password - and 1Password crashed again. Now the dialogue box that shows when Preferences>Advanced is clicked has changed: The boxes for menu Items Copy UUID and Copy JSON are both unchecked, but menu items Integrations, Sorting and Local Vaults each have a dash ( - ) in their boxes.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jenono - OK, at this point, rather than trying to diagnose things via question-and-answer, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#UEI-96166-626]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @jenono only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: UEI-96166-626

• shd
    shd
    Community Member
    Options

I have this same problem for the first time after using 1password for several years. I am synching with icloud, not dropbox. I am running on a macbook air with MacOS Mojave 10.14.1. I am synching with my iPad and iPhone. No errors on those devices.

If I click fix and select iCloud it prompts me with:

"iCloud Sync
    Sycnh Primary Vault with iCloud
    1Password found existing data in iCloud. It will be merged with your current vault."

If I think click "Start Synching" It quickly looks like it synchs, but then repeats the same problem detected pop up. How do I fix this?

• shd
    shd
    Community Member
    Options

It appears that 1Password is also no longer saving new accounts or account changes also. Help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I have this same problem for the first time after using 1password for several years. I am synching with icloud, not dropbox. I am running on a macbook air with MacOS Mojave 10.14.1. I am synching with my iPad and iPhone. No errors on those devices.

@shd: It really doesn't sound like this is at all related to this discussion, based on your description. This thread is about Dropbox, which is completely unrelated to iCloud.

If I click fix and select iCloud it prompts me with:
    "iCloud Sync
    Sycnh Primary Vault with iCloud
    1Password found existing data in iCloud. It will be merged with your current vault."
    If I think click "Start Synching" It quickly looks like it synchs, but then repeats the same problem detected pop up. How do I fix this?

We don't have any control over iCloud, so it's hard to say. However, the steps in this guide may help you narrow down the problem and find a resolution:

If you’re having trouble syncing with iCloud

It appears that 1Password is also no longer saving new accounts or account changes also. Help!

I don't know what you mean. Can you offer some details? To be clear, 1Password will not automatically save anything. You would need to tell it to. Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

Find your version

The more information you can give, the better. Thanks in advance! :)

• shd
    shd
    Community Member
    Options

I disagree that my problem was different. It was the exact same symptom, but the shared data used for the synch was on iCloud instead of Dropbox. Regardless, 1password tech support helped me and we fixed the problem. In my case, my iOS devices were still synching fine via iCloud - just my Macbook had the "ignore or Fix" pop-ups and synch failures. The fix was:

1) I made sure the iOS vaults and synch through iCloud was up to date.
    2) I locked 1password on my Macbook
    3) I performed a Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data on the Macbook and followed the onscreen instructions.

Step 3 deleted all my data on my Macbook. I then re-created the vault from scratch on my Macbook populating it from iCloud.

This cleaned up whatever was corrupted in the vault and it has been working fine since.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear that setting up the same sync method with the same data on all your devices helped. :)

• HOrdover
    HOrdover
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty - Hi there, same symptom as OP and I can see that your solution is most likely what I need. However, like the OP I'm terrified of deleting the wrong thing.

I've had the stand-alone local 1password for ages on my Mac. Recently I purchased the online-based 1password for my work machine and recently tried to merge the two. I got nervous at exactly the point of your migration guide that you highlighted above (March 2018 post).

My original primary vault IS local AND syncs to my dropbox. Ever since you had an app, my iPhone has gotten its data from that Dropbox folder.
    I wanted to confirm before attempting this:
    1. I need to check that everything in my LOCAL/Dropbox "Primary" vault also appears in my "Personal" (new/web-based) vault
    2. provided everything lines up I then Delete my LOCAL/Dropbox "primary" vault (EEK)
    3. But what if things don't line up?...copy "primary" to "personal"?? Is there a way to get rid of or merge any duplicates this creates?
    4. Will I now need to set my phone up to sync via the web-based 1password?

Thank you so much for your help!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@HOrdover:

1. But what if things don't line up?...copy "primary" to "personal"?? Is there a way to get rid of or merge any duplicates this creates?

If all your items from your Primary vault are also inside your Personal vault, there is no need to perform the migration again. But if you do have duplicates inside your Personal vault, you can use 1Password's duplicate removal tool to help you clean up. You can find it under the 1Password Help menu in the menu bar > Tools > Clean Up Duplicate Items.

I should also say that deleting the Primary vault this way only removes it from the 1Password app. The actual vault will remain on Dropbox until you remove it manually from there too. So even in case something goes terribly wrong, you would be able to just import the old Dropbox vault to the app once again.

1. Will I now need to set my phone up to sync via the web-based 1password?

That's correct. If you haven't done it already, you need to make sure that you add your 1Password account to the 1Password app on all your devices, so they can all sync via 1Password.com :)

• HOrdover
    HOrdover
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana
    OH!

"DELETE VAULT" doesn't = "obliterate all instances of Vault in all of the places it's ever been saved"!!!

Well that makes me feel much better.

So the Dropbox vault will no longer be the site of backups (b/c online 1password) but today's version will live on until I manually delete it from dropbox.

PHEW! Thank you!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@HOrdover:

So the Dropbox vault will no longer be the site of backups (b/c online 1password) but today's version will live on until I manually delete it from dropbox.

Correct :)

This discussion has been closed.