Can I push a password to a user's personal vault?

sdg
sdg
Community Member

Sometimes I need to give someone an initial password for their new account. I'd like to do it via 1Password, by pushing something to their personal vault, rather than texting them, emailing it, slacking it, etc. Is there a way to do this in 1Password Teams?

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:push password to personal user's vault

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sdg - There a couple of ways to do what you're intending to do. If you have admin privileges for your 1Password Teams account, you can open your own account in a web browser (not the app), click the share sheet (under the item title) and choose "Send a Copy." This will give the user in question a copy of your item. If it's intended for their use exclusively, then you should probably delete your own copy, to avoid confusion -- because copied items are exactly that: copies, completely separate and independent from one another.

The other option is: you can create a temporary vault that only you and the other person have access to, and move (not copy) the item there. Once the person moves (not copies) the item to their Personal vault, the vault you created will be empty, and you can delete it.

• sdg
    sdg
    Community Member
    edited March 2018

Hey Lars,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not seeing that option on the share sheet. I'm a member of the Administrators group. Should that be enough privilege?

• Ludvik
    Ludvik
    Community Member

@Lars Sending copy to private vault of other user is possible? I do not thing so. But it would be a nice feature.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Ludvik, @sdg: Yep! This is a beta feature in the 1Password Teams Pro plan. You'd need to have it enabled there, and then select "Send a copy" from the Share [ ↑ ] icon in an item's details. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• sdg
    sdg
    Community Member

Aha, thanks.

So is enabling beta just as risky to my 1Password data as with any other app? Or do you have the vaults protected in some magical way and features not working would be the main pain? :-)

Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sdg - More the latter than the former. In other words: you should be fine in terms of data integrity to enable beta features. However, beta IS beta, and that means that it's had less stability testing than features in the stable branch. 1Password's been designed with multiple fail safes so that your data are not at risk, but then again, 1Password isn't a photo-sharing or social media app: if you want to take as few chances with your important 1Password data as possible, stick with the stable features. In that case, my suggestion to use a separate vault will work to accomplish the goal, even if it's not as elegant as "Send a copy."

• ezekielf
    ezekielf
    Community Member

Hi, I see this feature is still in beta. Are there any plans for it to become fully supported in the near future? It would be very useful for securely distributing new credentials to team members, but I am a little hesitant to start relying on a beta feature.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ezekielf - in the near future? Probably not, if you and I define "near" the same way. It's still a work in progress, but I recommend you try it out with nonessential data on your own device(s) first, and see if you think it passes muster for wider use.

This discussion has been closed.