How does account recovery work?

headhertz
headhertz
Community Member
edited March 2018 in Families

Hi!

I thought 1Password never had my: security key, password, or an unencrypted copy of my data. How does that not make account recovery impossible?

https://support.1password.com/recovery/

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• If by 1Password you mean AgileBits (the company behind the 1Password software and service), then yes, you’re correct: we never have your Secret Key, Master Password, or an unencrypted copy of your data. Account recovery can only be performed by an organizer / administrator on your 1Password.com account, and not by AgileBits. Users who are organizers or administrators on your account have the encryption keys for all items, but are prevented from using any of the keys other than items than ones they can normally see for anything other than recovery.

AgileBits cannot assist with recovery.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• headhertz
    headhertz
    Community Member

Thanks for responding, @Ben.

Can you confirm that this applies to family member's Private vaults as well?

What I'm really trying to ensure is that my wife (a family manager) will be able to gain access to everything via 1Password if I precede her in death.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@headhertz: She would only be able to access data in your Personal/Private vault if you either give her the credentials for your account or access to your email account (so she could go through the recovery process for your 1Password.com account). I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.