can't authenticate because passphrase too long

Options
cloaked1
cloaked1
Community Member

I'm not able to authenticate because my passphrase is too long for the input field. How do I file a bug report for this problem? My passphrase is 33 characters long.

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: 4.7.0.90
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:can't authenticate because passphrase too long

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cloaked1: Can you clarify? If you mean that you have a 33 character password saved in 1Password and 1Password is filling it for you when you tell it to, that isn't a bug. Did the website perhaps allow that password on the signup (or password change) page, but does not on the login page? I've encountered issues like that a few times. Let me know! :)

• cloaked1
    cloaked1
    Community Member
    Options

No. I am unable to authenticate using the 1password tool as it will not allow me to input all of the characters of my passphrase. So, I'm unable to use the 1password tool.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cloaked1: I'm sorry for the confusion, but thats simply not the case. While the window (and your screen) will not grow beyond a certain point to display more characters in a single field, you're free to enter the entire Master Password and press Return to unlock. Cheers! :)

• cloaked1
    cloaked1
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty hmm. Ok. That's good to know. So, I'm absolutely unable to authenticate using the tool. I admittedly was supposing that the input field was not allowing me to enter all of the characters of my passphrase. I'll dig deeper into my problem.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cloaked1: Thanks for telling me! It occurred to me that might be the case and seemed most likely, but I wanted to make sure we were on the same page there at least.

Another likely possibility is that you simply setup a different Master Password there in the past. The 1Password app unlocks using the Master Password of the first vault/account you've setup in it. So if you have a Primary (local) vault in 1Password for Mac that you have been using and then you also signed up for a 1Password.com account, unless you remove the Primary vault you will need to unlock with its Master Password, not the one for the account. Does that help?

This discussion has been closed.