Attempting to add new file crashes the app

Options
redarx
redarx
Community Member
edited March 2018 in Mac

Hi, is there any known issue that could be causing this problem?

Step to reproduce:
1) Click to edit any entry
2) Click 'Add New File' button
3) Finder pops up to my Download folder sorted to date modified but it's empty - see https://dsh.re/8e367
4) Scroll down in the finder

Result:
1) App immediately crashed

Alternative:
Well, luckily we can just drag and drop files into the 1Password app so there's not much of an issue but it still irks me when I need to go through levels of folder in finder just to drag them into 1P.

I submitted the crash report but just in case it's something wrong on my end, I thought I'd ask here.

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: 4.7.1.2
OS Version: 10.13.3
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@redarx: Yeah that definitely isn't normal. The weird thing is that the file dialog is handled by macOS, not 1Password. I'm not able to reproduce that here, but I'm also not sure I'm looking in the right place. Could you please clarify exactly where you're using "Add New File"? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

• redarx
    redarx
    Community Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

@brenty I'm using it in edit mode. Here's a video https://dsh.re/3814cb

btw, you're saying the dialog was supposed to be handled by 1Password instead of popping up the macos finder?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@brenty I'm using it in edit mode. Here's a video https://dsh.re/3814cb

@redarx: Ouch. Thank you. That makes it very clear.

btw, you're saying the dialog was supposed to be handled by 1Password instead of popping up the macos finder?

Ah, no sorry. I mean that the file dialog is not part of 1Password. It's part of the OS. Apps don't and can't handle this; they just ask the OS for a file picker and it handles the rest. Really strange.

What happens if you select different display options or a different folder (in orange)?

Let me know!

• redarx
    redarx
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Nice tips! Switching from Icon view to List did the trick. Icon view will crash 1P no matter which folder I go to but List works :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@redarx: I'm glad to hear that helped, but I'd encourage you to do two things: 1) send along any crash reports when prompted (though if this crash is happening in the OS like I think it is, we won't get those; Apple will), and 2) get your Mac checked out, either by booting into Recovery mode and doing some tests or reinstalls yourself, or by Apple. Seriously, I'm not able to get any anything to crash here using the system file picker regardless of the view. It's definitely not normal. :blush:

• redarx
    redarx
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @brenty you’ve been really helpful. I’ll definitely try those suggestions out when I find the time. I’ll share whatever I find here.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Likewise, it's been a pleasure. And you sharing your experience here may help someone else if they encounter a similar issue in the future. I wish you luck, and hope to hear good news back from you. :)

This discussion has been closed.