Ongoing slowness issues with 1p on my Macbook

Options
ericbgrey
ericbgrey
Community Member

I've submitted my issues to the devs several times, but thought I'd put my experience out there in hopes that others may benefit from it. There are multiple reports of slowness issues, but they are different enough from mine to warrant separate inclusion. I run fully updated machines, MacBook pro, Chrome, 1p for Teams, version information listed in the provided boxes so is hopefully visible to you.

My problems usually begin after a restart, and none of the normal troubleshooting steps (restarting, reinstalling, resyncing, whatever) seem to make much of a difference. Often, the issue will just get better as the computer is working, and sometimes a restart of 1p mini seems to help. In a few instances, it's turned out that my Chrome browser update didn't fully complete, and when that happened, everything was ducky.

My issues include :

• 4-15 second delays when clicking 1p mini icon in the Mac toolbar or the Chrome extension (it does also happen in Safari if I check in most instances)
  • 10-30 second delays when trying to open the Mac app itself
  • Sometimes a message in the extension window that says 1password main app must be installed, which will disappear when the app finally launches
  • Long delays in switching between items once the app is working, reducing functionality to almost zero
  • Fill-in problems in browser windows when the slowness is going on

Currently, the extreme of all of those is happening. Multiple browser, computer, 1p mini restarts have no impact, as do any of the other troubleshooting steps. That said, the peak of this run of issues seems to have begun about an hour ago, and things have been better in the last few minutes.

It is partly the randomness, and yet, persistence of these issues that has me annoyed. On my computer, everything runs effortlessly, except 1p. It is the app that I am most likely to have to contact a dev about in the last 6 months or so, and that was not formerly my experience! Here's hoping these issues get resolved with future updates and all is well once again. :)

Let me know if more information is needed or if you have ideas!

Eric

1Password Version: 6.8.8 (Mac Appstore version)
Extension Version: 4.7.0.90
OS Version: OSX 10.13.3
Sync Type: Teams

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I've submitted my issues to the devs several times, but thought I'd put my experience out there in hopes that others may benefit from it. There are multiple reports of slowness issues, but they are different enough from mine to warrant separate inclusion. I run fully updated machines, MacBook pro, Chrome, 1p for Teams, version information listed in the provided boxes so is hopefully visible to you.

@ericbgrey: Indeed, thanks for reaching out. The primary difficulty with these kinds of issues is that there is so much variation. We're also not able to reproduce these types of problems in 1Password here, and there seems to be no consistent cause or solution in cases where we have been able to find any, seemingly specific to each person's setup. So it's even more important that we hear from folks in these cases in case it could lead us to discover something that could help the unlucky few others having similar problems.

My problems usually begin after a restart, and none of the normal troubleshooting steps (restarting, reinstalling, resyncing, whatever) seem to make much of a difference. Often, the issue will just get better as the computer is working, and sometimes a restart of 1p mini seems to help. In a few instances, it's turned out that my Chrome browser update didn't fully complete, and when that happened, everything was ducky.

This is really interesting, because it's the complete opposite of what we usually hear. Typically, restarting 1Password or the Mac helps.

My issues include :

• 4-15 second delays when clicking 1p mini icon in the Mac toolbar or the Chrome extension (it does also happen in Safari if I check in most instances)

This is something we've had reports of before.

• 10-30 second delays when trying to open the Mac app itself

But this is not, and likely completely unrelated to 1Password. Unless the 1Password app itself is damaged — installing a fresh copy is a good thing to try based on your other comments — then it's an OS or filesystem problem on your computer. If reinstalling 1Password does not help, you should consider having Apple look at it, unless you yourself have the tools to troubleshoot these types of issues.

• Sometimes a message in the extension window that says 1password main app must be installed, which will disappear when the app finally launches

That makes sense, given that 1Password hasn't finished starting yet. But can you tell me more about this? Do you not have 1Password mini set to start when you login (Preferences > General), and you're opening 1Password manually? Are you quitting 1Password completely while using your computer, so that it has to be launched again later?

• Long delays in switching between items once the app is working, reducing functionality to almost zero

Yeah, that really sounds like something's just wrong with your computer. If it's something with the drive or filesystem, it may be helpful to backup 1Password's data, reset the app, and then restore from the 1Password backup, since that should get brand new files written to a new area on the disk. But the real concern is that you have an external backup of everything, since those problems will generally only get worse, ending in catastrophic failure.

• Fill-in problems in browser windows when the slowness is going on

That makes sense too, given the other issues you're describing.

Currently, the extreme of all of those is happening. Multiple browser, computer, 1p mini restarts have no impact, as do any of the other troubleshooting steps. That said, the peak of this run of issues seems to have begun about an hour ago, and things have been better in the last few minutes.

Are you having the same issues on another computer (if you have one)?

It is partly the randomness, and yet, persistence of these issues that has me annoyed. On my computer, everything runs effortlessly, except 1p. It is the app that I am most likely to have to contact a dev about in the last 6 months or so, and that was not formerly my experience! Here's hoping these issues get resolved with future updates and all is well once again. :) Let me know if more information is needed or if you have ideas!

To be clear, none of my comments above should be taken as definitive, as there's a lot we don't know. This is just my sense of things from your description and my own experience. But, better safe than sorry. Please do the following, if nothing else: 1) Save a backup your data somewhere else. And external drive is good, but an offsite backup is even better. Both is best. 2) Boot into recovery mode and do a full scan/repair of the drive using Disk Utility. If you have other drive scanning/repair tools, use those. 3) Delete 1Password completely, preferably using something like a "cleaner" app (Note: this is something we usually DO NOT recommend, but in this case it will allow for a fresh installation and data restore). 4) Install a fresh copy of 1Password and restore from its backup. Let me know how it goes, and if you have any questions.

• ericbgrey
    ericbgrey
    Community Member
    Options

Hey there!

Thanks so much for all of this information. Interestingly, I have had it in to Apple, and it was my persistent issues with 1p that made me send it in. They reinstalled the OS and fixed a fan that was having trouble, but didn't find anything in particular, and it didn't seem to change any of the behaviors on my machine. This was about 8 months ago. Anyway - I will give a try with what you mentioned and come back here if anything in particular happens!

I really appreciate your response. :)

Eric

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ericbgrey: Likewise, thanks for your patience and willingness to work with us on this. it's a very odd issue. Anyway, that sounds good. Please let me know what you find, or if you have any other questions about my (admittedly long) comments above. :)

This discussion has been closed.