Can't seem to share vault on 1password 6, v6.8.8.

SafetyThird
SafetyThird
Community Member

When I create a new vault, I don't see a way to share it.

The help files only show how to invite someone using the families option but I'm using standalone v6.8.8. My wife is also using the same version. My sync is through dropbox which has a 1password.opvault file. If I create a new vault, I don't see a new opvault file. So I can't see any way to invite my wife to share the vault I've created or have a dropbox file that is just for that vault that she could be given access to.

Any suggestions on what I'm missing here so we can have a shared vault.

Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: 6.8.8
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:create a shared vault 1password 6

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@SafetyThird: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! You cannot "invite" anyone if you don't have a 1Password Families membership. That's the only way you'll have an account with secure sharing built in. You can share a vault using Dropbox, but that's very much a per-vault, per-device configuration.

You may want to consider a 1Password.com membership anyway, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits. And if you choose 1Password Families, you can invite your loved ones so they get all of those same benefits, and can easily share vaults between you securely. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• SafetyThird
    SafetyThird
    Community Member

Thanks for that, the dropbox vault option will probably work for now and I'll look at the families option for the future. Will have a look and see how to transfer everything over as I've been using 1Password for years.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018

@SafetyThird: Sounds good. Definitely check it out. We've got a great guide for migrating, and it's much quicker and easier than you'd think. And we're here if you need us. Cheers! :)

• SafetyThird
    SafetyThird
    Community Member

Thanks very much for you help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Any time. :chuffed: :+1:

• aika
    aika
    Community Member

I want 6.8.8 back,... I don't want to upgrade to a monthly subscription rate, can't have the extra expense right now. I have a macbook, El Capitan, and Android phone. My phone auto updated to the v7 automatically,... how do I get the old one back?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@aika: For the desktop apps, you can download nearly any version from our update site. But it's probably still in your Applications folder, unless you deleted it.

For the mobile apps, the App Store and Google Play store don't offer a way to install outdated versions. But, to be clear, 1Password 7 doesn't require a1Password.com membership. On Windows and macOS, it's a paid upgrade. And on Android and iOS, it was a free update.

• aika
    aika
    Community Member

@brenty I see. Thanks for the response.
    So now my next question is. The update on my android phone wants to change the format of the encrypted file. If I proceed to do that, will 1Password 6.8.8 on desktop be able to read the new file format or will I have to upgrade to 7 on desktop as well?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@aika: You're welcome. I'm sorry I don't have good news for you. :(

It's your call, as both options seem to have a downside in your case:

a. Convert to OPVault: you can use it in 1Password 7 on your newer device, but not your old one
    b. Don't convert: you can use it in 1Password 6 on your old device, but not the new one

Personally, if it were me, I'd consider if I could maybe get away with having outdated info on the old device. If so, convert to OPVault for the benefit of the new ones, and keep using the (perpetually out of sync) data on the old device. It's not ideal, but I'd be seriously considering getting rid of the old device, or just using it for media or something, due to the risks of doing anything with it online.

Again, that may not be the calculation you make based on your own usage. Just my two cents. :blush:

This discussion has been closed.