Feature Request: Add New File/Document from iOS Files App

Options
PBAdams
PBAdams
Community Member
edited April 2018 in iOS

Hi 1Password team,

Today I tried to add a new secure document to my vault using my iOS device (iPad). First, I tried add a new document, but that opened my photo library. Next, I tried to create a new secure note and add a file - but that also only brought up the photo library.

Feature request: Enable a copy to 1Password extension so I can easily import documents and files into my vaults.z

1Password Version: 7.0.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 11.3
Sync Type: 1Password Teams

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @PBAdams

At present we only support adding images as Documents from 1Password for iOS. This is something we would like to expand upon in the future. Thanks for the suggestion!

Ben

• diomio
    diomio
    Community Member
    Options

Hi folks,

I have exactly the same change request and was wondering if this already exists - and yes: you got it already! :+1: Well, then let's hope this functionality will make it to the next update :chuffed:

• Ben
    Options

Hi @diomio,

My apologies but it sounds like there may be some confusion. The functionality that we have built is already in the app — it isn’t coming in the next update because it is already there. You can create Document items in 1Password membership vaults using items in your Camera Roll. We don’t have any definite plans to expand this functionality beyond that, though it is something that has been discussed and perhaps in the future we’ll be able to offer more source options besides the Camera Roll.

Thanks!

Ben

• PBAdams
    PBAdams
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

For me the ideal use case is print to PDF And save to 1Password document. That would cover most of my bases. For example, scan to PDF, the save PDF to 1Password, or print to PDF from a checkout confirmation page on the web and save the PDF to 1password document.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback @PBAdams. For what it's worth, I agree that would be very helpful. :)

Ben

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

So disappointed that I cannot scan a document straight into 1P using the camera on my iPad or iPhone, hopefully this will come. Having to use the Camera Roll is such an unnecessary intermediate step, especially considering the are not photos and creates the added security problem of having to remember to delete them. I have my Camera Roll of photos uploading to Lightroom mobile and ultimately to Lightroom Classic Desktop, so not only do I have to delete these unnecessary intermediate files from my Camera Roll I also have to now delete them from my Lightroom images catalogue. 1P is just so full of badly thought out ideas :(

Having said all that I do not seen to be able to add documents using my iPad. If I hit the + button there is no icon for a Document and if I go into the Documents category there is no + button like there is on other categories.

I do seem to have a Documents + button on my iPhone.

What am I missing?

Thank you for your help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@iwaddo: It sounds like you don't have a 1Password.com account setup on your iPad. Documents are only available there.

Regarding Document creation direct from the camera, it's certainly something I can see being handy, but it isn't something we're able to prioritize at this time with the other work we're doing. I do hope we'll be able to "cut out the middle man" down the road though, and perhaps add more flexibility to Document creation on iOS as well. Thanks for the feedback! :)

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty hi, I have 7.0.6 on my iPad and can see a documents category with the same number of documents I can see on my iPhone and iMac, but on my iPad I do not have a + so cannot add any documents.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@iwaddo: Without any specifics it's hard to say. What vault are you viewing when you encounter this issue? Could you please clarify what you're seeing? I'm just not able to not have a + to create a new item. If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I have worked out the problem.

I have enabled a Primary Account.

If I use the All Vaults view I do not get a + in Documents category.

If I use any view that does not include the Primary Account I do get a + in the Documents category.

I am not sure why this happens because in the All Vaults view in any other category I still get a + and it just adds to the default vault, not sure why t cannot do this in Documents.

Thank you for your help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@iwaddo: Ah, got it. That makes sense. Indeed, local vaults (like the Primary) do not use Documents, only 1Password.com does; so you wouldn't have the option to create one in that case. I'm sorry fo the confusion that caused though. Is there a specific reason you're using local vaults in addition to 1Password.com? Maybe there's something I can help with.

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I’m exploring local vaults to compensate for some of the shortcomings with the way documents have been implemented, namely promoting attachments to documents and the fact that documents do not download to a mobile device until accessed. This last bit is very concerning, I am particularly worried that anyone in the family using 1P might find themselves in urgent need of information in a document they have not previously accessed and with a signal to be able to download it quickly on demand.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@iwaddo: Thanks for letting me know. Ironically, one of the big issues 1Password users had over the years with attachments was eating up their data on mobile devices — both cellular and storage — so part of the way that Documents are handled is to address that. Even with a lot of international travel, I can't actually think of a situation where a Document in 1Password would have been accepted as a substitute for the real thing, but you're right in principle that it would be nice to have the option to download Documents automatically if desired. It's something we're evaluating along with other ways we can make them useful for more people. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback on this! :)

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty

You will never please everyone 😀

A flag per document to indicate automatic download would be ideal as it allows maximum user flexibility.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You will never please everyone 😀

@iwaddo: I know, but we enjoy the challenge. :lol:

A flag per document to indicate automatic download would be ideal as it allows maximum user flexibility.

Indeed, that's one thing we're considering, though implementation across half dozen apps always needs to be carefully considered beforehand. Thanks for letting us know that would be something you'd prefer though! :)

This discussion has been closed.