Disable Auto-Submit when using custom fill shortcut

levymetal
levymetal
Community Member

I use OPTION + \ as my fill login shortcut instead of the default CMD + \

In the main application preferences I have auto-submit disabled. However, on a few websites, login forms still auto-submit after filling. I've tracked this down to the keyboard shortcut - using the default, or CONTROL + \, forms won't auto-submit. But with OPTION + \, some forms will auto-submit.

I haven't been able to figure out why some sites auto-submit and some don't. It's pretty weird to be honest. One site that auto-submits, for example, is https://www.epicgames.com/.

If I change the individual login to Never Submit, it does prevent the form from auto-submitting. But it's a bit annoying to have to manually configure each individual login - my global preference should be respected.

I read a support article that mentioned the option key used to be a modifier to prevent forms from auto-submitting, yet in my case, it's triggering auto-submit.

Is there any way to resolve this other than re-binding my keyboard shortcuts, or setting every malfunctioning login item to Never Submit? I've been living with this problem for years hoping a fix would come out, but it seems like no one's noticed it before, or perhaps it's wontfix? I love 1Password, but it would be awesome if this one small thing could be resolved.

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: 4.7.0.90
OS Version: MacOS 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:disable auto submit

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018

@levymetal - I can confirm for the specific site Epic Games that what you've experienced can be replicated here. Using Control + \ will not submit, and using the standard Command + \ will not, but Option + \ will indeed submit this form.

We've actually overhauled the interprocess communication substantially in 1Password 7 for Mac, and I can also verify that this problem does not exist using 1Password 7 for Mac and any supported browser. My guess is that now that 1Password 7 for Mac has entered beta, we aren't likely to be spending a great deal of time attempting to hunt this down and squash it in version 6, since the vast majority of people use the default Command + \ as their keyboard shortcut, and it doesn't seem to be happening on all - or even most - sites.

If you're willing to upgrade to the 1Password 7 for Mac beta, this problem will be solved. If you'd prefer to wait until the official release of 1Password 7 for Mac, I understand, but in such a case, I'd recommend you choose a different keyboard shortcut if this problem bothers you significantly. Thanks for reporting! :)

• @levymetal,

There is code in the filling pathway that will force auto-submit if you're holding down the option key. The fact that your defined keyboard shortcut has the option key in it is causing it to auto-submit.

Rudy

• levymetal
    levymetal
    Community Member

@Lars Thanks very much for that, I'm happy to wait for the official release of 7 and it's great to know this has been fixed!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@levymetal - :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.